Active Topics

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Sting04 - that's the Marina theme. I use that too, actually (though I eventually modified some parts, even without the modifications it was my favorite theme available on the N900).

- Edit -

(Suppresses dickish remark) I did it. Instead of trying to figure out where the hell I could conceivably download fiasco-flasher (it's not on my device, I tried entering the repository source line in my sources.list, hildon-app-manager.list and fapman's own sources list - the one which you need to get your own token number combination to get access to it), I just ended up figuring out how to force "flasher" to work for my purposes. Namely, I launched softupd (with options -s and --local - also -vv, but that's just increasing verbosity, as I understand it), inside one xterm, then ran flasher with --local and -f -k [path to and name of kernel file provided by Matan].

So, in short,
Code:
softupd -vv -s --local
then leave that alone, open another terminal, and
Code:
flasher --local -f -k {path to kernel file}
. Both need to be run as root. Oh, and then
Code:
sync
afterwords. For reference purposes, I also stumbled upon the same instructions here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking#F...N900_xterminal I was vaduelly aware of this before, but didn't know it would necessarily be compatible with the file Matan provided, since I wasn't sure what the differences between fiasco-flasher and flasher were. uname -a (and uboot during startup) reported power41 as the kernel, which is what Matan called his power40 + PR1.3.

Great success. (Though I'd still like to get my hands on "fiasco-flasher". Seems like it would be a bit faster to use.)

At any rate, thanks again to Matan for making this.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-11-03 at 13:20. Reason: Got it working.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
BTW what's in power40 + PR1.3?
is it a personal modification/combination of titan's power kernel and patch fixes of the original pr1.3 kernel? Anybody here can enlighten me? Cause I won't boot meego without the enhanced kernel nor the patches for the pr1.3 kernel. It's pretty traumatic going back to pr1.2 kernel lol!

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
If you want overclock possible kernel with u-boot, you can try my experimental power40+PR1.3 kernel.

Installation instructions and the necessary files are here:

http://my.svgalib.org/770/n900/u-boot/
i do it.. it works very well. cant see any bugs or whatever. Good work!!!!!

but i dont know how to do this:

"If you wish to boot by default into maemo even when the microsd card is inserted, create a file called boot.scr in the fat partition on the card that also contains uImage. This file should include:

setenv atags ${nolo_atagaddr}
bootm ${nolo_kernaddr}"

sd card is not accessible from the N900 neither from the pc (it say need to be formatted) .. how can i add this file?

thanks..

Radicalz, you can probably look at the source - it will tell you more than I can. But to my understanding that's exactly what it is. Matan just took power kernel, added the PR1.3 patches, and attached uboot.

dannydj: Did you just have the "fiasco-flasher" command on your device without doing anything (because as I complained in my earlier posts, it's not anywhere to be found on mine)?

How would you apply 1.3 patches to an exsisting kernel?

I'd like to do this with the current neopwn kernel. Thank you for any and all assistance. (most likely requires source, which I do not have)

What flasher command would be used to temporarily flash a kernel candidate locally for testing? Would the flasher line in Mentalist Traceur's outline change to this:

flasher --local -F <kernel-image> --flash-only=kernel -f -R

Last edited by xopher; 2010-11-03 at 17:17.

For temporary, I would use "-l" (as in lower-case L) instead of "-f". Don't trust me too much, but flasher takes the same options as the flasher on the computer, so -f would be flash (as in actually write the data to flash chip) and -l would be load (as in load kernel into memory). You can always also type "flasher -h" and "flasher --help" for some basic info on the options.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
I need help, ? already done this:

bunzip2 modules41.tar.bz2
tar xf modules41.tar -C /

but when I try : fiasco-flasher -k my.u-boot.power41a -f

it says fiasco-flasher not found

Erebo read above. (for instance, my long post a couple before this one, where I both write out the exact instructions to the next step, AND link to the wiki that has the same instructions.)

I still don't know how to get "fiasco-flasher" because I don't know what the repository to download it is - at least the proper format of adding that repository to the apt-get sources. BUT I DID post how to use flasher instead of fiasco-flasher to do the same thing. On this very page no less.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
For temporary, I would use "-l" (as in lower-case L) instead of "-f". Don't trust me too much, but flasher takes the same options as the flasher on the computer, so -f would be flash (as in actually write the data to flash chip) and -l would be load (as in load kernel into memory). You can always also type "flasher -h" and "flasher --help" for some basic info on the options.
flasher --local -k <kernel-file> -l -b

seems to be the command for a test run

EDIT: no go, get a message saying that mode is not supported by this method. You either flash or don't that way I guess....oh well. My test was bad, it still ubooted couldn't load my kernel and proceeded to run Meego so I flashed Matan's power via the PC flasher and it was running again.

Last edited by xopher; 2010-11-03 at 19:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to xopher For This Useful Post:
Hi I'm new to linux (ubuntu 10.10) and n900 and i have a problem with booting meego. Tried already the release from 26 october and the newer one. Every time when I boot from mmc i get some info like:
cannot load file "boot.scr", partition 3 is not valid, then automatically starts to boot maemo. Thanks in advance for help : )

Tags
power kernel, uboot