Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
where can I see who is running and for what?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
At this moment, Tim Samoff has presented his candidature for Board only.

Texrat has his nomination message pending of moderation in the ML (yet another infrastructure issue we need to solve).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Most people won't bother setting up a fake account (on TMO and Maemo.org) and then making 100 posts to get enough Karma to vote.
Sure, but that would be the most inefficient way of doing it. On the other hand, it would only take one thanked post to push someone above the voting threshold. If anyone wanted to create lots of sock puppet accounts for casting fake votes, the karma requirement wouldn't be an obstacle.

It also sets up a balanced field for those that don't chatter much on TMO, but do help the community in other way, like wiki edits, development, blogging, bug tracking, testing, etc.
Well... does for instance http://maemo.org/profile/view/qgil/ look balanced to you?

Consider that this is the #1 bug commenter, #2 mailing list poster, #2 wiki editor, #4 bug reporter, #5 commenter and so on, while the account's karma shows someone who primarily blogs a lot and gets thanked in the forum a bit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Sure, but that would be the most inefficient way of doing it.
SShhhhhhh!!! Stop telling people how to hack things. But yes, I agree. It could stand tweaking. But you must admit, it has served it's purpose for the most part. (At least until you came on here, blabbing your "logic" all over on how to setup multiple cheating vote accounts.... )

Well... does for instance http://maemo.org/profile/view/qgil/ look balanced to you?
Again, it's not for figuring out who's the best super-hero. Once you get over 100, frankly, there's not a point to it. It's not a contest. By "fair", I meant that someone doing just one of those tasks, if they did enough to contribute, would be able to still get to a point that they could vote or maybe even run for Council. It gives everyone a relatively fair shake to get to 10 or 100 or some arbitrary number up to about 300. Again, going beyond that, it's all cake.

Several have complained that Karma doesn't expire, allowing someone to one thing (like write a voting mechanism, or an autobuilder, for example) and then a decade later vote on something, even if they hadn't been involved in most of that time. That's another issue with it, maybe.

I never said it was perfect. In fact, it's got enough flaws that nobody has jumped up saying "No! You can't replace Karma!" Only that what replaces it must at least strive to do the same things it's been able to accomplish, if even in a round about way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I have already developed an improved karma method and would be glad to share when the time comes.
Don't take my precious karma away from me! It's higher than most* on the current committee!

*I exaggerate. But by most, I mean a lot of better folks have lesser karma than me.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Sure, but that would be the most inefficient way of doing it. On the other hand, it would only take one thanked post to push someone above the voting threshold. If anyone wanted to create lots of sock puppet accounts for casting fake votes, the karma requirement wouldn't be an obstacle.
Here's a thought: let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Okay?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
sorry, but i'm not going to (re-)create candidate list by hand
does anyone have a way to generate the corresponding web page automatically?

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
[...]
It gives everyone a relatively fair shake to get to 10 or 100 or some arbitrary number up to about 300. Again, going beyond that, it's all cake.
[...]
know what? with 300, i'd be out of luck
on the other hand, honestly?
remember what silly mess vox-populi got us in last time? as Churchill put it so nicely...
the worst solution except all others...
plus you have all the work to do upfront

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
sorry, but i'm not going to (re-)create candidate list by hand
does anyone have a way to generate the corresponding web page automatically?
Here's a text file in tsv, haven't got time to play with it now.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tsv_maemo_karma_20120922.txt (18.3 KB, 1680 views)

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Here's a thought: let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Okay?
I share the concern about fake sock puppet accounts.

At maemo.org, it didn't matter because Nokia was always in control and they weren't going to lose control no matter how dysfunctional or counterproductive the council and membership became. I think if we proceed with the current proposal to permanently build council and karma into the bylaws, we should be very careful. I'd like to hear Texrat's proposal to reform karma, but I'd also like to hear from others who are willing to discard the council/karma system in lieu of another form of governance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: