Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Theres always Libre Office via Easy Debian
Today I was using easydebian with the image file debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2 but it has openoffice 3, it is a bit slow and it doesn't support .docx or .xlsx files. I' ll try with other image file to see what it has libre office and if it is upgradeable.

on N900
I have been using abiword and gnumeric for .doc and .xls, working fine. The versions I have doesn't support .docx or .xlsx so it comes handy convert the files online and download it in .doc or .xls format

http://www.docx2doc.com/convert/

Last edited by maegon9y00; 2015-01-21 at 02:52. Reason: make some corrections

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Just a tiny nit pick, you can of course try a different image (Estel's is a good start, although it has a lot of stuff you might not need, such as GIMP) - OR you can upgrade the one you have.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Whilst I don't mind people finding such solutions for themselves for products that the company itself stopped supporting, it is still software piracy and I don't think we should be supporting it openly like this. Please remove the link.
The company itself stopped caring about license, so I thought this cant be counted as software piracy. Anyway sorry for the post. We all have different standards. But I'm pretty sure that the company's anti-piracy department's executive is not lurking over the internet to find a post on an almost dead platform's support forum/community, which redirects to another website.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pistachio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You did not need to remove the post. Just the link.
Hint: no one can stop people from exchanging links privately

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Just a tiny nit pick, you can of course try a different image (Estel's is a good start, although it has a lot of stuff you might not need, such as GIMP) - OR you can upgrade the one you have.
Yes indeed.

Currently I am using an Easy Debian image called "debian-m5-estel.img.ext3"

The image is on the 32GB built in memory.
800MB Swap is on the SD Card.

I can't complain about the performance. Once loaded it behaves more or less like on a normal PC. But I know if your N900 is not setup correctly , using Easy Debian can be very frustrating.
Got your N900 setup without lagging -> go Easy Debian and forget the rest.

Current performance: interface is fluid.

Easy Debian startup until menu clickable: ~24 seconds
Libreoffice Calc startup until menu for loading ready ~18 seconds
Loading XLS file: 10-15 seconds

(used reference ratings.xls sheet from http://www.exinfm.com/free_spreadsheets.html )

Name:  DSC_2734.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  28.7 KB

Probably performance can be improved by moving Easy Debian files to a folder on the device instead of keeping those in an image but manuals on how to do that don't lead me to success.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
Today I was using easydebian with the image file debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2 but it has openoffice 3, it is a bit slow and it doesn't support .docx or .xlsx files. I' ll try with other image file to see what it has libre office and if it is upgradeable.
I have exactly the same ED image, and it has OO 3.2.1. It does open xlsx & docx without a problem, and actually handles multi-sheet spreadsheets with complex relationships much better than even Documents-to-Go.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post: