Active Topics

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Netherlands
After a failed Nitdroid adventure and after having purchased another mobile phone, I did not do anything with my N900 for nearly a year. I now dusted off my N900, flashed it and am trying to to give it good use.

Question:
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the N900 as a wireless HDD without Internet, just as the Seagate Goflex Satellite can be used?

When I have Internet, I use TinySmb to access my N900, but on Internet-free spots (beach, lake) it would be great to access files on my N900 from my non-3G tablet by setting up a wifi connection between the 2 devices.

Info: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...ate-satellite/

If possible, I think it would be a nice way to use the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fr For This Useful Post:
Just use ad-hoc wireless network - unlike androids, Maemo doesn't have any problems with them (except for ad-hoc being power-hog, but that's not problem of Maemo, but specification of ad-hoc itself).

Unless you're using any recent android version for that 2nd device - in such case, you're screwed, as google in its eternal wisdom decided, that users won't be able to do ad-hoc in android, "because". Then, using such poorly designed and written OS, you're doomed to utilize it only over infrastructure wifi - no matter, if you want to access N900, wireless HD, or whatever.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
So we have no ways to use n900 as a media server for android ??
Why infrastructre mode is impossible in 900?
I always wanted the avove mentioned functionablity ...btw thanx for the thread and that segate thingy

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
@Estel, thanks, in my case my 2nd device is not Android, but a Blackberry Playbook.

@Nokiabot, the Seagate looks indeed very nice, but since there is no app for the BB Playbook, I think it it more interesting to use it with an Android tablet or iPad.

Who needs an app @ mike?? Web browser is the ideal solution or cli:? Btw the damm thing saying only 50meters thats enough to push me back i need at least 300 meters .

I agree that the browser is a good solution, but I could only find on YouTube a demo with IE on a laptop; would like to see a demo with a mobile browser, preferably with the BB Playbook.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
So, what is it that you're looking for? A solution to use the N900 as a wireless harddisk or as a media device (which, for me, would be mainly music)?

For music / media, MusicPlayerDaemon would be a perfect solution. In my house, all the mobile devices are hooked up to the desktop machine running MPD, and on the N900 that I use daily, MPD runs as well so I can share music on the fly when I am with friends.

Note that MPD is only a daemon to play music. In order to interact with it, you'll need a client. I believe MPC is in the repo's as well as a Qt remake of it.

For sharing things like video, have a look at Knots2.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply Anthonie.

I am looking for a solution to use the N900 as a wireless harddisk for my Blackberry Playbook without Internet, similar to the Seagate solution.

"
Your GoFlex Satellite device has its own wireless network. When you connect to it, it establishes a dedicated link with GoFlex Satellite over Wi-Fi.

Connecting to the GoFlex Satellite Network from a Smartphone
You can connect to the GoFlex Satellite device from any Wi-Fi-enabled smartphone that has a browser.
1. Go to your phone’s Wi-Fi settings.
2. Select GoFlex Satellite from the list of wireless networks.
3. Launch your phone’s Web browser.
4. Go to any URL to be automatically redirected to the GoFlex Satellite main page
"

Source: http://www.seagate.com/files/support...uide-en-us.pdf

The ad-hoc wireless network mentioned by Estel was a nice idea, but after some googling, it seems that this does not work with Blackberry Playbook. Oh well....

If you want true infrastructure mode on N900 I would research USB host mode whilst using a USB wifi adapter that is compatible with Linux host-ap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
If you want true infrastructure mode on N900 I would research USB host mode whilst using a USB wifi adapter that is compatible with Linux host-ap.
if you really want to take the time i would request a hi range adapter to be comptiable
thanx

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post: