N900 Battery Test Results

Check this for a real look at the performance of the N900 battery

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nirave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
this thread may help people with bad battery life issues,

even if you have never turned wifi on still try the temp fix and if ur battery life is longer then u know what the cause was.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36438

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
thanks mate!

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
For a "real look", LOL... so you're saying we're all lying when we say our N900's are lasting us 1+ day's on a single battery charge...

Got my phone Tuesday, let it recharge for 12 hours, used the guide http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35907
Didn't recharge it till last night... I can guarantee you they probably didn't use steps to help conserve battery life like, lowering the brightness, using shortcuts instead of widgets and changing email, weather, etc to update every hour instead of push.

I'm sure some people are having issues with the battery, but the majority of us who have posted about our use are loving it just how long it lasts.

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
Now that you mention it, isn't PUSH email actually quite effective in conserving battery life? No unnecessary connections are made.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
out of curiosity just did a video test on my n900

height : 320
width : 608
data rate : 855kbps
total bitrate :983kpbs
frame rate : 23 frames/sec

audio : 128 kpbs
channels : 2 stereo
audio sample rate : 48khz

file size : 700mb
length : 1hr 39min

The above file I played in a loop(manually of course , no feature in n900 to play in loop ) for about 5hours continuous with wifi connected and on 3G network till i got the first low battery warning.

Had foreca weather widget running.
Emails via nokia messaging.
and sound through headphones.

hope that helps somebody benchmark their toy, if its better , it should bring you a big smile

IMHO i think the battery is just about OK, nothing exciting, but nothing to feel too bad about for the kind of device it is.

Last edited by krk969; 2009-12-12 at 11:37.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by smage View Post
Now that you mention it, isn't PUSH email actually quite effective in conserving battery life? No unnecessary connections are made.
Whether necessary (because stuff is pushed) or unnecessary (nothing is pushed) a TCP connection is kept alive the whole time.

I can imagine this not allowing the device to go in deeper power saving modes.

I'd only put push mail on if it is necessary to have real-time e-mail. Else, I found a setting of check every 5 minutes instant enough to be usable.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Prague
maybe the battery problem is also caused by default settings of N900 - e.g. mine had automatic connection to wifi enabled. So the first night I had it home, it automatically connected to one of the configured wifi networks - and probably because of that until morning, more than half of the battery was depleted (or maybe because it was after the first/second rechargement?)...

And there are, in my opinion, more similar flaws - like the vibrator acting each time one touches screen - which could too decrease the battery life...

Now that I have my n900 configured a little, the battery indicator stayed unmoved for 10 hours of not using the device - and after a whole day of light usage (mp3 playing, for a few hours, reading sms, playing supertux for 20 mins, a few minutes of wifi), 2/3 of the battery is charged... Therefore I find the battery life about the same, maybe even better, as e.g. HTC Wizard I used previously..

As krk969 wrote - it is not breathtaking, but noone can seriously expect such powerful device to last a week on battery (only if in offline mode and left untouched).

Here's part 2 of the battery tests:

http://www.mobile-users.net/2009/12/...-tests-part-2/