Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Wired did a nice write up of the n900. They did not cover all my high points but it was not bad for a cursory overview.
A LITTLE BACKGROUND

Think of the about-to-be-released N900 as atonement for past sins committed by Nokia. The disaster that is Symbian, the anemic-ness of the Ovi store, the conspicuous lack of CDMA devices all seem, well, not so horrible after playing with this Linux based, open source, unlocked internet tablet. Nokia recently gave us a not-so-finished version of the N900 to play with. Here’s what we think after tinkering with it for a week. Bonus: We’ve got video too!

MAEMO NUMBER 5

The N900 flaunts the Maemo 5 operating system. A mostly (80%) open source Linux build, it’s certainly more usable than any version of Symbian. First off it’s a multitasking powerhouse — we loved the fact that you could stream tunes from a website like Hype Machine then open up another webpage, snap a picture or access twitter without interrupting the music flow. Programs are represented by widgets, which can be moved around different screens with relative ease and apps can be easily downloaded from the sparse Ovi store.

SCREEN SAVER

The N900 has a 3.5-inch resistive touch screen. Most resistive screens we’ve encountered thus far tend to be slow and unresponsive. The N900’s isn’t. Although it comes with a stylus, you largely don’t need it — actions like text typing and web browsing can be done with just a finger. Zooming in and out is done without a pinch, literally. When you want to enlarge something on screen, take your finger (or better yet, the stylus) and make a small clockwise circle. Making a counter clockwise circle zooms out.

PHONE HOME

Almost like an afterthought, the N900 functions as an unlocked cell phone. We popped in SIMs from AT&T and T-Mobile and the N900 made calls without much interference or static. Don’t have a SIM? No prob. There’s VoIP and Skype integration too.

SHOOTER MCGAVIN

The N900’s camera has a Carl Zeiss lens, protected by a plastic slide, and a bright Xenon flash. Pictures are generally noise free and clear while the included photo editing software rivals that of most cell phones.

FLOCK IT TO ME

Mozilla’s mobile browser, Flock is sadly nowhere to be found on this device. No big deal — a custom made Mozilla browser is included for all your Intertubing needs. There’ s support for Adobe Flash 9.4 plus an RSS reader as well.

LIMITED POWER

Battery life isn’t exactly Methuselah-like. Our unit conked out after a day of hard use (read: constant web surfing, making calls, shooting pictures) but we expect slightly better power management from the production device.

A DELICIOUS WRAP

The N900 will start shipping around the end of November and will cost $650. We’ll have a full review on the finished hardware before then. So far the N900 shows a great deal of promise — Nokia is definitely doing the right thing when it comes to an open platform and a lack of Symbian. Now if only they could get a carrier to subsidize the device and help bring the cost down a little bit.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to matthewcc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Reference: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...h-nokias-n900/

By Flock I assume they mean Fennec.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal
Lol i think the "Xenon Flash" part is also not correct

I personally liked how there was no comparison to any other device.... because there "is no comparison to any other device"

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
It seems very positive, but one issue:

"PHONE HOME

Almost like an afterthought, the N900 functions as an unlocked cell phone."

Even though the device will function fine as a phone, this could scare off some people that would love the device anyways- if taken wrong. I appreciate the premise of the device, but phone function can not be taken so lightly that it actually hurts sales of the N900.

Wired gets a lot of hits from the demographic that would buy this device. I know techies may care less, but I think Nokia does and so should everyone that wants to see the community grow significantly.

Nokia may want to to a better job of pointing out the phone function will grow with the device.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-27 at 14:31.

Posts: 142 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
The lack of CDMA doesn't sounds so "conspicuous" on a GSM/HSPA phone...

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It seems very positive, but one issue:

Wired gets a lot of hits from the demographic that would buy this device. I know techies may care less, but I think Nokia does and so should everyone that wants to see the community grow significantly.

Nokia may want to to a better job of pointing out the phone function will grow with the device.
If anything this is Nokias choice. They really focused on everything that it can do, and oh by the way it is a phone too! I think they believe the ability to make a phone call is commoditized. now had they shown it making calls multiple ways, Traditional, Skype, SIP.. it would be cooler and be a differentiator. Like at the end of the original n900 video had they shown the ring on a call, and then show it as a skype in etc.... thats cool, thats different.

The problem is we have been huffing n900 fumes for the past months and know too much.

Yeah I really do think that Nokia should get rid of their marketing people and take some suggestions from this group. I thought the slogans that were thought up in an earlier post was great.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
If anything this is Nokias choice. They really focused on everything that it can do, and oh by the way it is a phone too! I think they believe the ability to make a phone call is commoditized. now had they shown it making calls multiple ways, Traditional, Skype, SIP.. it would be cooler and be a differentiator. Like at the end of the original n900 video had they shown the ring on a call, and then show it as a skype in etc.... thats cool, thats different.

The problem is we have been huffing n900 fumes for the past months and know too much.

I agree, but am just looking from a growth point. If Nokia wants the N900 to sell a lot more devices, the biggest growing segment is higher feature smart phones. Netbooks are already eating up and taking over the market for "mini-computers". Then again, netbooks are also taking over standard laptop share to some degree. Wild.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by The_Solutor View Post
The lack of CDMA doesn't sounds so "conspicuous" on a GSM/HSPA phone...
The writer was referring to the near-dearth of CDMA devices from Nokia in general, particularly during the Qualcomm legal disputes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
phone, usability, user interface