Active Topics

I was thinking, the N800 has bluetooth, and USB host. So why not use those things?

Nokia could release a snappable USB/Bluetooth Keyboard for the n800. Each kind would have advantages and disadvantages. Though, I think they would both work pretty well.

Bluetooth Snap On Keyboard:
This would work good, but Bluetooth would always have to be on to use it. On the other hand, it would probably not increase the width of the n800 at all. So thats a good thing

USB Snap on Keyboard:
It wouldn't require bluetooth, so battery life would be the same, only disadvantage would be that since it would usb the miniUSB, the width would probabl be an inch or couple centimeters more. So that sucks

Anyone think Nokia could/should do this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Beni For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
And have yet more bulk to haul around? No thanks. The on-screen thumbboard works really well for me, if I really need to type something, I'll just use my bluetooth keyboard.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
And have yet more bulk to haul around? No thanks. The on-screen thumbboard works really well for me, if I really need to type something, I'll just use my bluetooth keyboard.
You really wouldn't haul around any more "bulk" if anything all it would do is make the n800 3 centimeters thicker. If even that much. The One Screen thumboard sucks. Unless you want to type 10 words per minute. Which is unacceptable.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
That would be nice as an optional accessory, satisfying both the demand for a larger keyboard and a protective case.

[Eventually in a n9x0 this could be implemented via Wireless USB]

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Beni View Post
You really wouldn't haul around any more "bulk" if anything all it would do is make the n800 3 centimeters thicker. If even that much.
Well, I know an extra 3cm isn't going to fit in any of mypockets, so, no, this isn't a workable solution.

The One Screen thumboard sucks. Unless you want to type 10 words per minute. Which is unacceptable.
I disagree, it works quite well (helps to type with the tips/nails of your thumbs). I get around 20-50wpm using it (I just did a semi-scientific test with 3 sessions of one minute in length to estimate WPM and achieved an average of 43wpm), which is four times more than your "10 words per minute" and more than acceptable for a keyboard on a mobile device (and not really that much different than I've achieved with hardware thumbboards on other devices).

I'm very happy with the thumbboard on the N800, and wouldn't consider trading off anything for a hardware keyboard.

Well, thats just you. If Nokia does make it, you can stick with your flawed Touch Screen keyboard. If the Touch Screen keyboard was as good as you suggest then Nokia wouldn't have bothered putting a real keyboard in the N810.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Well, thats just you. If Nokia does make it, you can stick with your flawed Touch Screen keyboard. If the Touch Screen keyboard was as good as you suggest then Nokia wouldn't have bothered putting a real keyboard in the N810.
Now, that would be a valid argument, were it not for the sad fact that we have several instances of Nokia "implementing" something into a new iteration of their tablet/software that turned out worse than the home-brew community solution.

God, why do people assume that because something doesn't work for them, it's flawed? Obviously, the touch screen works for some people, just as the thumb board works for others.

You'll also notice that the N800 is still in production alongside the N810, which means that Nokia, at least for the time being, are giving people a choice of units.

R.
==

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I find that using the on-screen keyboard makes me terser. I think of Stephen Hawkings. I may try my hand at haiku...

Originally Posted by rickh View Post
God, why do people assume that because something doesn't work for them, it's flawed? Obviously, the touch screen works for some people, just as the thumb board works for others.

You'll also notice that the N800 is still in production alongside the N810, which means that Nokia, at least for the time being, are giving people a choice of units.

R.
==
Even if it does work for some people. Its still technically flawed. First of all getting into the thumboard itself is a pain because sometimes the n800 picks up that your whole finger is there, but most of the time (For me at least) it just assumes your finger is a stylus and brings up the normal keyboard.

When I am in the thumboard and attempt to type with both thumbs, alot of times I can type, but there are many spelling mistakes due to it thinking that I pressed another key instead of the one I intended.

The N810 is a rip off. You are paying twice as much for basically just GPS and a built in keyboard. You lose the dual SD card slots, which is the reason I even got a N800. I have two 8GB SD Cards, and if I were ever to upgrade to the N810 I wouldn't be able to use any of them.