Hardware looks great.... honestly who will touch symbian?

(yes this assumes someone has hypothetically rooted the phone)

Last edited by FreyGrimrod; 2010-05-31 at 00:19.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I like the camera and video, but... the CPU looks puny... Same generation CPU as the old N800. Not sure how well Maemo 5 apps would run on it.

Gah ARM11 had missed that *tear* another new phone falls to manufacturer cheaping out on the CPU just like the LG Ally.... alas... also I apparently am blind and missed the MASSIVE STICKY POST.... my apologies.... (wait that's the n800 *hides*)

Last edited by FreyGrimrod; 2010-05-31 at 00:42.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
The future of phones is NOT the CPU, its the GPU. Same as with computers. At one point, a 3Ghz cpu meant power but now your PC is as only as strong as its GPU. Add a highend GPU to a celeron and you are game, get a blazing fast celeron WITHOUT a GPU or weak GPU and it is game over.

The N8 has an excellent GPU and the UI is GPU accelerated, the games are GPU accelerated, the Media is GPU accelerated.

What else needs to be said?

Maybe the N9 series will have a faster CPU, maybe not, either way it is the GPU that has the muscle and flexes it well.

Last edited by Deaconclgi; 2010-05-31 at 02:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deaconclgi For This Useful Post:
Hopefully the applications that are developed and will be developed for the Nokia N8 are QT compatible..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

In theory it should work since the N8 has an ARM CPU. When the Meego handset build is released I don't think there is anything stopping anyone from flashing the N8 and putting Meego on it.

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
In theory it should work since the N8 has an ARM CPU. When the Meego handset build is released I don't think there is anything stopping anyone from flashing the N8 and putting Meego on it.
Yes, there is... and it's called Nokia BB5 security...

Originally Posted by Mulder3 View Post
Yes, there is... and it's called Nokia BB5 security...
and how does that work?

I understand that Symbian uses openVG vs OpenGL ES for Maemo and Meego. This probably implies binary blobs that would need cross licensing , APIs etc.

I would be interested if anyone has a better perspective on this.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I don't think the BB5 security will play a big role now, since Symbian has been open-sourced.. Also, there are a way around it..