I guess I'm against the grain here...

I, personally, will always go Open Source over Proprietary any day of the weak. It's worth losing a few features that I can then implement myself if I really need them to me to support an Open Source project. I pick the FOSS project that closest resembles what I need and then expand from there.

Obviously I won't not go if they use vBulletin (double negatives are fun), I come here don't I?

I also do not think it's a good idea to move t.m.o to meego. At least, not at this time. Meego is still in it's infancy and doesn't need this atmosphere just yet... it needs a smaller dedicated group of people that are willing to visit a separate forum to discuss it. (I'm not saying it just needs Dev's.. it needs people like Kathy too for end-user perspectives. So I'm not isolating you Big Bear )

As far as single-sign-on, I don't know about that. For the same reason as above - make it *too* easy to go over there and it just becomes noise. MeeGo doesn't need flame/troll/bait/complaints.. it needs people willing to move forward and work on a specific goal.

OTOH, it's likely that eventually some form of merger between the two will take place (at the least a SSO solution to be made) - especially if people (like STskeeps) backport or maintain a MeeGo port for the N900, for example. But.. this also presents the perfect opportunity to do what some people on these forums have been crying for: A separate forum for (the now) "Maemo" people (770/8x0 and maybe the 900) will stay here.. while the "MeeGo" people will go over there.

So anyway.. I guess in summary:

Always FOSS.
Start fresh. Don't move content.
Don't think we need to be overly concerned about SSO *yet*.. though it'll likely be needed eventually.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think we should get *something* going for conversation at MeeGo pronto. So I'll bite the bullet and suggest we ask Reggie to open something with just three main areas right now: community, development and devices.

Then ask people to care enough to register there (or use a t.m.o. log in if that's easy enough for Reggie), and use those spaces to slug out Deb v rpm, vbulletin v drupal, what shape forums, where the summit and what devices. Ultimately we can design this ourselves from the ground up. Lets start with something. Otherwise we're over here and the moblin guys are over there and it's just getting scarier and smellier.
Don't jump the gun too much (Very NHS Kathy!!) - want to make sure the quick win solution works with an overall plan between the two communities...

No point ending up with a site with 6 logins, and not working correctly
(30 mins to set up, 2 days to un-tangle!) lol
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think we should get *something* going for conversation at MeeGo pronto. So I'll bite the bullet and suggest we ask Reggie to open something with just three main areas right now: community, development and devices.
The MeeGo community is currently very immature, though, and it needs to be done carefully such that the conversations don't get even further split:
  • A lot of technical discussion/brainstorming on #meego
  • Technical rants/flamewars about RPM/deb/yum/apt on meego-dev (and maybe some concretely useful stuff too about whether there's an upstream or everything gets repackaged from real upstream tarballs)
  • Community discussion on meego-community
  • Questions about how things fit in with current plans on maemo.org
  • Questions about how things fit in with current plans on moblin.org
  • Planning and content on wiki.meego.com
  • ...and then 3 separate fora

The Maemo community is a lot bigger and in many ways more sophisticated than the Moblin one. A lot of the core MeeGo team, though, are Moblin developers. The Maemo community needs, IMHO, to be careful from being seen as coming in and tipping up the apple carts.

So, yes, a forum. Yes, a good one. No, it doesn't need to be over-engineered but we can't just set up something, expect at some later point it to be integrated into meego.com and then say "oi, you lot; stop talking on mailing lists and come to this forum".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
So, yes, a forum. Yes, a good one. No, it doesn't need to be over-engineered but we can't just set up something, expect at some later point it to be integrated into meego.com and then say "oi, you lot; stop talking on mailing lists and come to this forum".
I don't believe I ever said that even to our own mailing list users.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I don't know which forum software to recommend, but I definitely don't think you should just rename talk.maemo.org to something on meego.com. MeeGo is only relevant from the next device onwards, so users of older tablets (and N900, arguably), shouldn't be "absorbed" by meego.com.

Yes, it would be a shame that meego.com wouldn't instantly gain a community, and people will have to separately register, but I don't think moving this forum to meego.com is as uncontroversial a decision as it was when this was moved from internettabletalk.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The Maemo community is a lot bigger and in many ways more sophisticated than the Moblin one. A lot of the core MeeGo team, though, are Moblin developers. The Maemo community needs, IMHO, to be careful from being seen as coming in and tipping up the apple carts.
But also not the other way around. Current infra is created from the moblin side without any communication with the Maemo community.

Let's try to start with a proper plan, instead of regretting it later.

MeeGo is now not more than an announcement, we have the opportunity to get things right from the start. It is not like we have millions of active users and device owners of MeeGo products out there. I think it can manage to survive the few days we need to discuss this properly.

Merging all kinds of data later on because we were in a rush (now) is not the way to go about this.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by X-Fade View Post
But also not the other way around. Current infra is created from the moblin side without any communication with the Maemo community.

Let's try to start with a proper plan, instead of regretting it later.

MeeGo is now not more than an announcement, we have the opportunity to get things right from the start. It is not like we have millions of active users and device owners of MeeGo products out there. I think it can manage to survive the few days we need to discuss this properly.

Merging all kinds of data later on because we were in a rush (now) is not the way to go about this.
My concern is with the 'where' and the 'how' of discussing this properly Now. I see a few threads here. I see next to nothing at MeeGo. And I don't even know how to look at moblin. I see nothing in maemo-community, and the meego-community mailing isn't working yet.

What I'm suggesting is that we use a bit of resource to create common space where we can have those discussions with both communities. Threads about "Shall we run a forum on vbulletin, drupal or something else altogether?" aren't necessarily ones we need to merge anywhere once the discussion is had and the decisions made. But a bit of open, common space between the two groups would be useful right now, even if we tear it down in 3 months time when we've decided what we want to build.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I have to reiterate the opinion that *not* using a Drupal forum module and instead integrating vb or even phpbb into the Meego site with unified sign-in is far better. I checked out all of the Drupal forum modules not too long ago and even the Advanced Forum module, which I personally use on my site for simplicity, just lacks so much in comparison to TMO right now that it wouldn't make much sense.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
I think maemo 6 and meego should be in separate forums

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Current setup is such that it is a very much closed system where one can't even find out who does what. I can't help out with infrastructure issues like the broken lists, simply because I don't have access. You'd have to wait for some Intel admins to wake up.

Everybody still needs to find out what is really going on and what is expected. It would have been nice if the guys who made deal in the first place, did a round of introductions. Just expect people to offer themselves and find it out for themselves is not optimal.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego