Active Topics

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
What would be super useful is a no-backlight charge rate meter screensaver or thing that pops up every minute or so.
Unobtrusive, wouldn't wake you up every 60sec with backlight but would show how many charging miliamps were coming in.
This would be very useful for Qi users especially who might have put their phone right at the edge of effective charging area, though solar charge or even come car charge users might benefit from knowing the charge rate.
Another useful app would be one which gives a live BME charge rate as you move the phone around the Qi pad to tune optimum charge location on the pad.
For the second request I would think a script could do the job, no?

Last edited by biketool; 2014-10-08 at 13:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
When using wireless charging, after some time the device gets very hot - might get to 60c+.

is there a command to stop/start charging by software? this way i'll be able to stop it whenever it gets too hot and make it resume when temp is back to normal without worrying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by impeham View Post
When using wireless charging, after some time the device gets very hot - might get to 60c+.

is there a command to stop/start charging by software? this way i'll be able to stop it whenever it gets too hot and make it resume when temp is back to normal without worrying.
60°C is hot enough for most people not being able to touch/hold it. Where did you get that figure from? Measurement or your guess?

Are you sure it has anything to do with the charging? It may be caused by eddy currents induced in the metal shell, in which case it is a hardware problem (did you for example include the magnetic back plate?) and no software solution is going to help.

Edit: you may find out by e.g. putting it on the charging mat with the battery removed.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-10-09 at 20:59. Reason: s/bac/back

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
temp value:
TEMP=$(/usr/bin/i2cget -y -f 2 0x55 0x06 w)
TEMP=$(($TEMP * 250 /1000 - 273))

i'm not sure about the reason yet it only happens when being put on the charging pad for long. 60c is very hot.

Stopping/Starting charging by some command will solve the problem if it's possible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
impeham, are you using the black induction barrier or did you remove that for fit?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
impeham, are you using the black induction barrier or did you remove that for fit?
it was removed, however, i tried putting it in between to see if it helps, but still same behavior. the charger itself gets very hot also.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Attach a photo. And try without the battery. That way you will see if charging has anything to do with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Attach a photo. And try without the battery. That way you will see if charging has anything to do with it.
i don't understand - photo of what exactly? and why without the battery? the battery might be the problem? even if it is - i still must use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
A photo of your setup, of course. And no, I do not suspect the battery. As mentioned a number of times, I suspect the problem is in your setup and the phone will get hot with or without the battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
If I position my phone perfectly for a fast charge on my Qi pad it gets to about 40C but never so hot that it is uncomfortable to touch.
Are you getting good charging?

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, qi charging