Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by abustany View Post
So, I checked what the status for the bug you mentioned, it seems to be because some services like MFE or Facebook don't allow sharing the contacts to third parties (yes, you don't have the right to share *your* contacts with yourself, that's smart). So I guess that for this reason the bluetooth daemon filters on "local" contacts only, I still don't understand why that would exclude contacts synced from bluetooth (which as far as I know are seen as local contacts)...
Anyway, it seems that the issue is being worked on, I can't promise anything regarding a fix since there is no solution yet, and it's not my team. Furthermore, I'm not totally sure what my NDA allows me to tell
Well, no solution with PR1.1 yet Carkit still only shows manually added contacts and leaves MfE and Facebook (and even Skype and Gtalk) out.

help needed lately i found that when i am sending or receiving either im or sms it is not the right contact to show so sms show for different sender ,i did a soft reset(restore setting )but the issue remains ,,any suggestion still the same old 1,0 no 1.1 for me yet ,thanx

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by babraq View Post
After upgrading to PR1.1, all my contacts disappeared except those from GTalk (I don't have Twitter or Facebook). So I used backup which I made before updating. Contacts are back, but I missed some texts which I received after backup. Another thing (very important) is that when I open some contact which have address or birthday associated with it, the information is not displayed. When I try to edit them, the informations are there. It's very annoying because I cannot cannot lauch Drive application to navigate me to a home address of someone.

So I tried to edit some contacts and after saving, it works as expected, but it's very dumb to edit every contact separately. Is there way to update them at once? Some command related to tracker or something similar?

Another thing is that additional info is missing too, concretely gender. It isn't anywhere.

Again, contacts are gone.

I used backup again and tracker-store process is taking more than 50% of CPU.
Well I guess your gtalk contacts were gone too, they probably just got imported from gtalk again. I don't see any reason why contacts would disappear though, I have been upgrading my device from 1.0 to 1.1 without any issue :-/
About the missing details, I have a colleague that has been experiencing that on random contacts, investigation of the issue is ongoing.
The gender field is not shown in the contact card, only in the editor. That's a UI design decision, which is maybe not completely smart.

The Following User Says Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ammar.m View Post
guys i need help. i synced all my FB contacts and many of them have contacts missing. only a few synced the picture. i deleted the account and redid it but still the same issue.
The behaviour of Facebook with avatars is pretty random (their servers send them sometimes, sometimes not). In the upcoming 1.2, we will fetch avatars from the graph API (not xmpp) instead, to get avatars more reliably.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ziller View Post
Well, no solution with PR1.1 yet Carkit still only shows manually added contacts and leaves MfE and Facebook (and even Skype and Gtalk) out.
Yep, that is being worked on. Unfortunately some heavy pushing was needed to get things moving :-/

I'm not sure if that was asked. Does Nokia plan to update UI to enable access to any XMPP server besides Google Talk, and to enable support for video calls through XMPP/Jingle? So far only audio calls work, and front camera is basically useless.

You can add other servers manually so far using telepathy gabble, but it's not very comfortable:
http://wiki.meego.com/Migrating_from..._account_setup

Last edited by shmerl; 2011-11-22 at 18:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
I'm not sure if that was asked. Does Nokia plan to update UI to enable access to any XMPP server besides Google Talk, and to enable support for video calls through XMPP/Jingle? So far only audio calls work, and front camera is basically useless.

You can add other servers manually so far using telepathy gabble, but it's not very comfortable:
http://wiki.meego.com/Migrating_from..._account_setup
We have a bug to add generic jabber support, but as long as no program manager allows that feature, teams can't work on it (yeah, that sucks).
About video call over xmpp, the feature is being worked on but I can't promise it'll be released in next update. Maybe 3rd party apps like peregrine allow that?

Originally Posted by abustany View Post
We have a bug to add generic jabber support, but as long as no program manager allows that feature, teams can't work on it (yeah, that sucks).
About video call over xmpp, the feature is being worked on but I can't promise it'll be released in next update. Maybe 3rd party apps like peregrine allow that?
No, last time I checked Peregrine didn't enable video calling.

What do you mean by program manager? Doesn't telepathy-gabble support any XMPP server account already? For example if you have jabber.org account, you can do something like this in the terminal on N9 (under root):

Code:
mc-tool add gabble/jabber jabberorg string:account=myuser@jabber.org string:password=mypassword
mc-tool list
mc-tool enable gabble/jabber/myuser_40jabber_2eorg0
It will work, to see your contacts, but you can't send messages / initiate voice calls in the current default client (there is no UI for it simply, and UI is visible only if Google Talk server is used). I think all you need to do is to enable that already existing UI for any XMPP server instead. So there won't be a need to add new type of account UI even (XMPP), but there still be a way to use it with manual setup.

Last edited by shmerl; 2011-11-22 at 21:16.

There was some mention, that Google supports power saving mode, using not standardized XEP (which isn't even official yet):
http://dave.cridland.net/xeps/google-queue.html
While Facebook supports something else with similar intentions:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38943

So I wonder what other XMPP servers (ejabberd, openfire etc.) do for this matter and how it affects battery life.

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but you can have yahoo messenger work with the stock messenger app and have yahoo messenger contacts on the stock contacts app by using a jabber server that supports yahoo messenger transport. Been using it for a few days now and it works quite good and integration with the stock apps are quite good also, albiet a few issues but very usable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akosihub For This Useful Post: