Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Without another phone on the market which includes a terminal console out of the box there is no where to go. I was stuck with a SHarp Zaurus until the Maemo N-series arrived. I have all of the CSSU-thumb, KP, and other soft mods. My USB port fears have been calmed since I added the Qi charging. A $6 charger which mostly eliminates the cause of death of all four previous N900s.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Without another phone on the market which includes a terminal console out of the box there is no where to go.
Sure there is. 2 devices come to mind immediately; N9 and Jolla.
Granted that on N9 you need to install developer mode packages but that's just a click away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
@juiceme but N900 is still best among those 2. Jolla didn't impressed me much and i prefer N9 over Jolla because of MeeGo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
@juiceme but N900 is still best among those 2. Jolla didn't impressed me much and i prefer N9 over Jolla because of MeeGo.
Yes I agree that Harmattan is a poor choice as it is a dead end, essential parts being closed source.
Jolla device, however is pretty neat package and made superior by SFOS which is currently the best mobile OS for me.

As for N900, I never had the honor of owning one, I even tried to buy a device once but in the end the owner declined to sell it, preferring to keep it for himself
I am in the queue for Neo900 however, so all is not lost for me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I don't know how anyone can still use this phone as their primary. I still use it daily as a media player. But I just tried some web browsing (after not doing so for a long time) and it was so painful. I tried Opera, Fennec, and the stock browser and none could deal with the IndieGogo Jolla page. I tried several other sites on each browser. I won't try that again. So I am seriously asking: do those that use the N900 daily just not web browse? Or is this just a case where you don't know what you are missing so it seems ok? Because unless a fresh browser comes along I'll never do that again. Life is too short.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I am aware of the experience of modern devices. Nevertheless, I use the n900, either Opera or MicroB for the BBC and others. It's serviceable. Yep, slightly slow whatever. And yes, there are sites that don't work.

I just prefer the n900. Ineffable fact.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
install opera mini and open a gazzilion of tabs super smooth and fast !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
>>install opera mini and open a gazzilion of tabs super smooth and fast !<<

Forgot I had that too. Second site I tried would not load (www.talkingpointsmemo.com). Maybe there is a more recent version, but nothing shows up as an update.

Last edited by lancewex; 2014-11-20 at 16:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
So I am seriously asking: do those that use the N900 daily just not web browse? Or is this just a case where you don't know what you are missing so it seems ok?
I use my N900s fairly frequently to check TMO (and, now that I've gotten interested in the Jolla tablet, I'm browsing TJC with them as well). In fact, I have no trouble browsing a variety of my favorite sites. It is true that many modern websites are practically unviewable with Microb (or, for that matter, with any older browser or older machine). It is also true that these websites are insanely bloated pieces of craptastic web coding and extravagantly unnecessary multimedia. (My brother is on a satellite internet subscription, and lately he's had to be careful what sites he browses, as some web-pages will consume his entire month's download allowance in just a matter of minutes.)

So yeah, you really do need high-end hardware and high-speed internet access to comfortably browse many modern websites. But I've just gotta ask, do you really need to browse these websites in the first place?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
So I am seriously asking: do those that use the N900 daily just not web browse? Or is this just a case where you don't know what you are missing so it seems ok? Because unless a fresh browser comes along I'll never do that again. Life is too short.
I don't know what you understand under web browsing but my N900 has never been smoother.
Many sites seem to be less cluttered than in 2009-2010 (Steam, DP Review, etc..) and to be honest I adjusted my "requirement" that the device should do flash in browser.
I would be happy to torture test my device with your favorite websites and post a video on how it goes for your reference.
Waiting your input..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900