Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
3G was introduced here in 2003 - I rule out the possibility that anyone still uses a pre-2003 SIM card in 2011
I think i did (original T-D1 branded SIM was from 2002, definitely non-UMTS), until beginning of 2009. But: Videocall worked anyway on N73 in 2006...

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-08-17 at 12:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
I believe it's important that both caller and recipient are on 3G connections and both devices are capable of performing 3G video calling. Often a device will drop down to 2.5G or 2G if the coverage is poor, if set to "automatic"; I'm not sure what happens when one device is on a 3G and the other on a 3.5G connection.

The other thing to consider is local network traffic and overall ability to connect. I have had a supposedly full 3.5G signal and struggled to connect to a commonly used search-engine's front page.

Have you tried trying to make a 3G video call, say late at night when networks are a little quieter, to someone who is both in the same room and on the same network? Doing this would ensure as strong and similar signal strength as is possible.

Some devices don't support video calls without wifi, even though one thinks they might/should do - 'i' 'm not saying anything!

- as an after-thought, do you have any software installed that might conflict with either the front or back camera?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Well then... call me.
you can use the N900 without a sim. But not receiving calls.
you can use the N900 without a skype account. But not receiving skype call.
Skype on the N900 "just works" with any user of skype, and 3G video call "just works" with any 3G user (with a video call capable device).

Anyway, from what I have read some time ago, 3G call is a hard to implement, very specific telephony feature (specific codec and stuff), because it has not been designed to be used by generic purpose devices (as these use generic purpose protocols, ie voip).

I'm affraid that because of this, 3G calls will never come to the N900 as:
- it's not something that can be hacked or ported from desktop linux
- commercial vendors -including nokia- have stopped investing in the platform.
The only thing that can be done now is discussing workarounds, because basically proper 3G video calls and flash 10 will only come in PR 1.4

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
"proper 3G video calls and flash 10 will only come in PR 1.4"

so that means never!! lol

its the only thing missing on the n900, here in Turkey its cheaper to have videocall then internet. the argument about skype is pretty lame, not everyone has skype and internet isnt cheap everywhere,

i really hope it comes sooner rather then later.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
you can use the N900 without a sim. But not receiving calls.
you can use the N900 without a skype account. But not receiving skype call.
Skype on the N900 "just works" with any user of skype, and 3G video call "just works" with any 3G user (with a video call capable device).

Anyway, from what I have read some time ago, 3G call is a hard to implement, very specific telephony feature (specific codec and stuff), because it has not been designed to be used by generic purpose devices (as these use generic purpose protocols, ie voip).

I'm affraid that because of this, 3G calls will never come to the N900 as:
- it's not something that can be hacked or ported from desktop linux
- commercial vendors -including nokia- have stopped investing in the platform.
The only thing that can be done now is discussing workarounds, because basically proper 3G video calls and flash 10 will only come in PR 1.4
So we're back to square one???

When I got the N900, I was fully aware of the limitations of MMS and 3G Video Call. Then I found out about fMMS, and I'm wondering how come we couldn't get 3G Video Call.

Can someone write to Nokia/Elop and help us get what we need to ease the development of the 3G Video Call app?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
ok i guys ,i thought we all should contact to a 3g all distributer ,so this is what i did .i mailed to TANGO guys !
And how is this Tango thing different from Skype?

I just had a quick look at their home page and it seems that you need an "app" for it and you have to register and whatnot.

If anything, this might be a Skype-clone, but that's not 3G Calling (UMTS video clal, *not* VoIP over UMTS) as requested here by the OP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Video call, voice based OVI maps and many other features that are available by default on other Nokia phones will never be available on Maemo n900, Nokia has pretty much forgotten this marvel of theirs. Talk to Nokia support about Maemo and its features and you will find a deafening silence on the other side of the phone..... forget anything on this device from Nokia..... but I woulld love to be proven wrong

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@vivmak,

Well that's the thing. The N900 is not just another "Nokia phone".

It lacks some of the features of standard (Nokia) phones just as the 3G video call, dictionary, MMS and voice navigation.. but we all KNEW that before be bought our beloved N900s.

This really starts to get annoying (also in the Nokia discussions forums). I think next time some user says "but my N70 did this and that" I'm going to delete the luser from the whole fvcking Internet -- I swear it! ))

Just live with it (your N900), and enjoy the things it can do that no other "phone" can do.

Last edited by reinob; 2011-08-18 at 12:29. Reason: typo

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Also don't forget that nokia does not produce N900 anymore