The fall of Nokia reminds me of the Fall of Commodore or Atari a once great company that mass produced a product is turned into several small companies without a consistent platform and a brand that is passed around. The Symbian Based phones similar to mass produced Commodores like the 64 and Meego Devices similar to high end products like the Amiga. Also all that poor marketing they did of their technically superior products.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2013-09-06 at 14:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
And Nintendo could be next:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/04/nintendont/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
.... and after them Microsoft will be next and Apple will follow soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
.... and after them Microsoft will be next and Apple will follow soon.
I'm not sure about that. If anything, it seems like MS is the cockroach of tech world that simply survives, while others rise and go down again. Money wise it will be a LONG time before MS would be in any kind of trouble. Nokia had plenty of net cash in 2008, but that's nothing compared to $68bn cash reserves of MS. It grew that reserve with 5bn just from the past 6 months.

That said I agree with the point. I can almost guarantee that Apple for example wont be in the great position it is now in 7 years time. Google is the company at the moment, but they have been rubbish at monetizing Android and cost of Android is likely going up.

In a weird way I'm kind of happy that Nokia is financially fine at the moment and the constant trouble of the company melting away is over. Just 17 years ago Nokia was not know about phones, over 40 years ago the company was really not knows about tech in general and the company it was 100 years ago had nothing to do with the company it is today. Only resemblance in the past over 100 years with the brand has been that it has multiple crisis, shed its non profitable parts countless of times and done something different.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post

That's just depressing read for somebody who grew up with Nintendo consoles.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-09-06 at 16:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I think you are a bit paranoid. The reason they didn't give the actual numbers is pretty obvious. They paled in comparison to iPhone or Samsung sales.
Paranoid, no. Still shocked by the sale of Nokia, yes.

You are talking about "selling not well"; explain this; how could the n9 sell well with the visibility Nokia had decided to give to it?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post

quite agree that nintendo.will be next, tho.im.big.fan.of.their.IPs..

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post

You are talking about "selling not well"; explain this; how could the n9 sell well with the visibility Nokia had decided to give to it?
Because like BB10, it was a dead end.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post

This is what happens with swipe UI....

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...iage/?src=recg

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
dont blame elop, he was just a messenger. It was a well planned stratergy exe-cuted by microsoft.
Messenger? well then he is happy now getting even more money when he goes CEO at Microsoft....

So yes I blame him

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why would you license from Nokia? You're basically licensing from Microsoft sooner than later if they have their way. And who wants to be in bed with Microsoft other than Nokia at the moment?

At this rate, Nokia had to have been bought by Microsoft. Come next year, nobody will make a Windows Phone at all. Watch. LG has already pulled out, so have others. HTC is invariably next, then Samsung once Tizen hits. The rest will go with Android, BlackBerry will fade like Palm did, and Microsoft would have been sitting there with nobody to make their phones and no handset division of their own at the moment.

Jolla has yet to produce anything. Pinning my faith on a startup is rare these days. I'll apply faith when I see more to fulfill my curiosities; I say this despite pulling for them. I like the cut of their jib.
So what Microsoft will get the money from Android anyway:

http://readwrite.com/2013/09/04/micr...ogw4Hhhwwr658t

Tags
espionage, trojan man