Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
If the next Internet Tablet indeed shrinks its screen size, how will it compare to the 3.5" 960x480 Toshiba Biblio? It's a
cell phone with integrated e-book reader, a 3.5-inch LCD screen featuring a 960x480 resolution, 7GB internal memory, QWERTY keyboard and Opera Mobile 9.5 including AJAX support

For a long time, the NIT's stood out for having a bigger, higher-resolution screen while still being pocketsized. Now the Biblio will hold the title of best-resolution screen. In fact, the more I hear about the N900 and the longer it takes to arrive, I wonder what features it will have that even stand out against the increasingly more capable cellphones.

Image and description from MobileCrunch.
Read the full article.

Last edited by RogerS; 2009-05-27 at 00:38.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Well, as discussed before, Nokia will be issuing a netbook. But as Architengi incisively asks,

Will Maemo OS be used in the new netbook? (most probably, yes — I don't think Symbian OS will go that far).
Will there be a need for an NIT if pocket internet is capably delivered on a cellphone and Maemo moves to the next bigger-sized device?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Yes. Yes. Yes.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Well, as discussed before, Nokia will be issuing a netbook. But as Architengi incisively asks,

Will there be a need for an NIT if pocket internet is capably delivered on a cellphone and Maemo moves to the next bigger-sized device?
As someone pointed out, if it makes sense for Archos to have 4-5-6-7 inch devices, it can make sense for Nokia, too. The gap between a netbook and a phone is certainly large, so the question is 'just' what target audience are they envisioning (IF they are envisioning anything above 3.5").

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
As someone pointed out, if it makes sense for Archos to have 4-5-6-7 inch devices, it can make sense for Nokia, too. The gap between a netbook and a phone is certainly large, so the question is 'just' what target audience are they envisioning (IF they are envisioning anything above 3.5").
Archos revenue was ~ $180M dollar last year, Nokia's ~ $70B. For all we know Nokia could have sold more NIT's than all of Archos' line put together with one device with a 4.1" screen.

Likely yes. I'm one of those individuals who prefer to have two seperate devices then one combined device. I can easily kill the battery on my tablet with usage. I don't want that happening to my phone so I'm screwed when I need it the most.

Not to mention there aren't many phones out there that can do what I want it to do easily. The iPhone requires hacking (only to have said hacks erased with an Apple update). Android (it's getting there). Though both need slightly bigger screens.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Archos revenue was ~ $180M dollar last year, Nokia's ~ $70B. For all we know Nokia could have sold more NIT's than all of Archos' line put together with one device with a 4.1" screen.
Has anybody really found/stated the real numbers for the NIT sales?

I keep hearing "it's better than you think" or something as vague, but nothing exact.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Not the first. The Archos5 has the same resolution, same with some Sony phone. In fact, I believe the new sidekick has a higher res screen! And screen resolution is nothing compared to usability and apps. So unless this is running Symbian or WinMo or Android, why bother.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Likely yes. I'm one of those individuals who prefer to have two seperate devices then one combined device. I can easily kill the battery on my tablet with usage. I don't want that happening to my phone so I'm screwed when I need it the most.
Yes, as long as battery capacity of smartphones is as poor as today, there's no benefit from cramming all functionality into one device. Yesterday my G1 phone died during the day because some 3rd party app behaved badly and drained battery while running in the background.
I think Apple did the right thing when disallowing multitasking for 3rd party apps. Although not having multitasking sucks.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Yes. I can't walk down the street holding using a netbook, and a phone is (generally) too small to be very useful when browsing the news while lying on the sofa. 4-5" can be the best of both worlds.