Active Topics

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
When I first encountered the Nokia Internet Tablet, I thought, "Gosh what a great e-reader!" I've used each NIT as an e-reader but I learned what it's great at is, well, doing the internet thing. As its name suggests.

I thought GPS was a natural win. The big screen made maps easier to read than on most dedicated devices. Still, I used my tablet for email more often than GPS.

The voip calls with visuals blew me away. Except no one with a tethered connection bought into cam-calling.

The 770, the N800, the N810 — these were all complete computers! They meant I didn't have to lug around a laptop just in case I had real work to do. But I did most of my real work on a real computer and my wife never got the hang of using a NIT. My son's friends found the iPod Touch easier for surfing and he never cottoned to it.

With its touch screen, I didn't need a keyboard, but I liked the N810 keyboard. The keyboard made apps easier to port anyway.

And Flash! Once it became clear that "internet" meant surfing without sideways scrolling, email, and videos on YouTube, the internet tablet excelled at giving me the internet.

Well, excelled in lots of circumstances. Without a cell-plan data connection the walkaround web had no impact on NIT users. The Apple iPhone has a minuscule segment of the smartphone market but generates 50 percent of mobile web use. Apple's genius wasn't in the interface but in browbeating AT&T into affordable web access.

Does the Nokia Internet Tablet have a real future? We have a $200 netbook and it's easier for conference notetaking than an N810. I have an Amazon Kindle 2 and I can get books for it that aren't available for FBReader on my NITs. Half the cars have GPS built-in now anyway. So what's the sweet spot for the Internet Tablet?

Doh!. The internet, same as it's always been.

Except these days, "the internet" means Twitter, too. With multi-tasking so I can tweet full-screen and use multiple screens to follow several hundred people (in more than one group). With keyboard and touch-screen and audio and photos too. And from anywhere I might be, um-m, walking around.

I can tweet from a phone now, thank you very much, but making sure it fits is no piece of cake. Tweeting means editing down to 140 characters without having to struggle. And reading (following), tweeting and surfing simultaneously? Hey, where's my computer again? At least Maemo was built for us to do more than one thing at a time.

I expect there will be lots of cellphones released this year that have keyboards and screens of a satisfactory size and cameras. Just having good specs won't draw much attention. But if the next NIT can ace the Twitter test and fly the Flash flag, it'll be very much in demand.
Read the article at itT.

Last edited by RogerS; 2009-05-29 at 15:20. Reason: Omitted title, paragraphing

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
I hope the bar is higher than twitter .... and flash can be done from Nokia's S60 products too.

It's the multitasking and smooth handling of advanced tasks -- more computer like and in your pocket that's the real differentiator. I use a netbook too, but it won't be in my pocket when I am out. If we get something with integrated connectivity beyond wifi we'll really have a powerful mobile tool.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atmasphere For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think that counting on Nokia for an Internet Tablet is the wisest choice. It's clear that Internet Tablets will make their way, regardless of what Nokia does.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
It's the multitasking and smooth handling of advanced tasks — more computer like and in your pocket — that's the real differentiator .... with integrated connectivity beyond wifi we'll really have a powerful mobile tool.
Nokia may not realize the value of its Internet Tablet experience.

OK, let's shout all together:

Hey! Use the computer! Your OS is unlimited! Do what the bling-a-lings can't do!

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
I hope the bar is higher than twitter .... and flash can be done from Nokia's S60 products too.

It's the multitasking and smooth handling of advanced tasks -- more computer like and in your pocket that's the real differentiator. I use a netbook too, but it won't be in my pocket when I am out. If we get something with integrated connectivity beyond wifi we'll really have a powerful mobile tool.
N810: It's linux. In your pocket. 'nuff said.

Not everyone gets it. For them, the iPhone and b'berries are enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
the NiT is summat bond would be proud of, n007 ?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Actually, the data rates leading to the iPhone's success aren't it at all. While they definitely helped (Canada has ridiculous data rates, even still), the iPhone came with enough junk out of the box that made it a useful internet appliance/mobile phone. While you can't view flash on it, the browsing experience beat out what I've had on the 770/N810.

My N810 is gathering some dust now, I only had about 10 hours on it before it sadly lost some of it's appeal to me. Unless Nokia pressures providers, I don't see the successor getting any decent data rates; the ones I've seen up here are all iPhone only.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
Actually, the data rates leading to the iPhone's success aren't it at all. While they definitely helped (Canada has ridiculous data rates, even still), the iPhone came with enough junk out of the box that made it a useful internet appliance/mobile phone. While you can't view flash on it, the browsing experience beat out what I've had on the 770/N810.

My N810 is gathering some dust now, I only had about 10 hours on it before it sadly lost some of it's appeal to me. Unless Nokia pressures providers, I don't see the successor getting any decent data rates; the ones I've seen up here are all iPhone only.
While I agree that Apple smartly provided the iPhone with good out-of-the-box stuff, you ought to try, if you haven't, the tear browser, especially with java turned off (except when needed) -- it's very fast, and I find it beats the pants off the browser on the touch (hence the iPhone).