Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Sniper_swe View Post
The dlna feature in pr 1.2 adds dlna server to n9. You cant push media to dlna devices with it. Only thing we can do is acces stored media from the phone and play it.
It might not be automated as such, but it's easy enough to browse to the content from the client & initiate a stream.
It's crucial because the N9 was never endowed with MHL or HDMI...*
802.11an + DLNA server + DLNA client gives us a way to "stream" 1080p content.
The data is compressed & when it gets to the client actual decoding of AV is done there.

*even if it was the N9 wouldn't have the grunt to output 1080p, that's where a DLNA client comes in.

*EDIT*
I see what you mean now, you're referring to content that's not actually on the phone.
IIRC he confirmed push isn't there & isn't coming, twas in one of the posts or in the comments.
But hopefully he'll substantiate this....

Jalyst.
I have posted a comment in the blog you mentioned and asked Jens to take a look at this thread
Cool.

Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
remember you want to stream sound from a mobile phone. if you want to 'push' DLNA streaming it is the source device that is responsible for producing the sound, not the receiving device,
Not sure if that really is the definition of "push" as such...
Having the phone be the DSP + DAC & redirecting that output to WiFi so it can hit the client.
I don't see how that would be technically feasible at all...

Assuming it is (which I don't), I agree it makes little sense to do it that way.
I'd much rather have a decently spec'd DLNA client handling the actual decoding/DAC.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-29 at 04:44.

Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
what's wrong with cables?. do you mean quality below expectations? get a decent cable and you're done. your system is standard consumer stuff (unless you're running krell or alike but krell's amps run on 'just' analog cables too), so let's don't get too excited about quality. plus, proper cables actually adds to the sound. google monster cables for instance.

remember you want to stream sound from a mobile phone. if you want to 'push' DLNA streaming it is the source device that is responsible for producing the sound, not the receiving device, as it is in case of DLNA ready music players reading files over the network and decoding them themselves. N9 produces sounds that is good enough, yet not as good as for even a cheap cable to distort in any audible way.
The problem i have is the analog cable part bluetooth reciver and its just cheap anolog cables. My onkyo dont really like it. The diff between feeding it from digital cable and analog rca is huge!

Maybe the push part is not good for the quallity so lets forget it for now Its better to let the reciving player do the decoding

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It might not be automated as such, but it's easy enough to browse to the content from the client & initiate a stream.
It's crucial because the N9 was never endowed with MHL or HDMI...*
802.11an + DLNA server + DLNA client gives us a way to "stream" 1080p content.
The data is compressed & when it gets to the client actual decoding of AV is done there.

*even if it was the N9 wouldn't have the grunt to output 1080p, that's where a DLNA client comes in.

*EDIT*
I see what you mean now, you're referring to content that's not actually on the phone.
IIRC he confirmed push isn't there & isn't coming, twas in one of the posts or in the comments.
But hopefully he'll substantiate this....

Cool.

Not sure if that really is the definition of "push" as such...
Having the phone be the DSP + DAC & redirecting that output to WiFi so it can hit the client.
I don't see how that would be technically feasible at all...

Assuming it is (which I don't), I agree it makes little sense to do it that way.
I'd much rather have a decently spec'd DLNA client handling the actual decoding/DAC.
Yes i want to be able to stream non local sound

It is possible to push media from phones. Android has apps for it and symbiam have nokia play to app that push the sound. I dont know about the quallity though. This play to apps push local media.

But lets forget about the push part and try to get the n9 to send the sound thats playing via wifi for now

Yes i want to be able to stream non local sound

It is possible to push media from phones. Android has apps for it and symbiam have nokia play to app that push the sound. I dont know about the quallity though. This play to apps push local media.

But lets forget about the push part and try to get the n9 to send the sound thats playing via wifi for now
Hi, let me put everything I was requested to comment on in one post:

About Push support:

Last thing I know is that the cancelled push support might be available through the store after PR1.2 is out; the push support included images only.

Distributing what's currently played via DLNA:
That's not possible using the usual Rygel + PulseAudio route for at least four reasons:

a) PulseAudio is missing at least one module (module-rygel-media-server)
b) Even if it had those, the version of Pulse used is missing the two patches that fixed that module
c) Rygel is missing the DBus consumer module (because it causes a sh*tload of wakeups)
d) Rygel is missing an upstream patch needed to make the DBus consumer plugin work with templated URIs (which the PA support uses)

That said, if you get the GstLaunch plugin compiled and installed, you could try to follow the instructions here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/83611...er/99892#99892. The Rygel version used in PR1.2 is this commit: https://meego.gitorious.org/maemo-mu...175d6ae8575b9f

Regarding 1080p streaming:

Again, that does not work out of the box (for non-technical reasons I hopefully can announce next week) for any random format but only for H.264 high profile videos with EAC3 audio.

This is easy to solve though with developer mode, just edit /home/user/.config/rygel.conf and set strict-sharing to false. If the file does not exist, you can copy it from /etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phako For This Useful Post:
Hi Jens!
Thx for your answers to all the questions

I'm hoping that we can solve this in some other way then.

I tried this : gst-launch pulsesrc device=sink.hw0.monitor ! audioconvert ! queue ! nokiaaacenc bitrate=128000 output-format=1 ! tcpserversink host=10.0.0.240 port=5000

after installing gstreamer tools but get gst-launch not find.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
I've installed gstreamer0.10-tools directly, and gst-launch-0.10 works.

But I can't get streaming to work, even if I try to go as easy as possible.

On the N9:
Code:
~ $ gst-launch-0.10 pulsesrc device=sink.hw0.monitor ! tcpserversink port=3000
On the PC (Mint 12 in a VM):
Code:
~ $ gst-launch tcpclientsrc port=3000 host=192.168.200.30 ! pulsesink
However, this is the result:
Code:
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSink:pulsesink0: The stream is in the wrong format.
Additional debug info:
gstbaseaudiosink.c(919): gst_base_audio_sink_preroll (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSink:pulsesink0:
sink not negotiated.
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...
Must be something easy to fix, I'd say. But how? What is a basic setup for this?

I'd really like to make it work. Great things are ahead. I'm thinking of realtime dolby digital decoding on the N9, so you can enjoy movies on PC with dolby surround without dolby surround set (inspiration link). Direct videostreaming should also be possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Why wont gst-launch work for me? i have apt-get install gstreamer0.10-tools and that seemed to work but gst launch wont work.

Keep up the good work by the way

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Why wont gst-launch work for me? i have apt-get install gstreamer0.10-tools and that seemed to work but gst launch wont work.
If you've only have gstreamer0.10-tools installed then gst-launch isn't available. Instead use gst-launch-0.10.
I guess when you add the gstreamer-tools package (without the 0.10) that gst-launch without the 0.10 is available, but it looks like nothing more than a redirect.

To verify, you can run:
Code:
~ $ dpkg --listfiles gstreamer0.10-tools
it provides a list of installed files for this package. Amongst them should be /usr/bin/gst-launch-0.10.

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2012-02-29 at 23:06.

seems thst aegis is rejecting the install with dpkg -i to:

cd /home/user/MyDocs
/home/user/MyDocs # dpkg -i gstreamer0.10-tools_0.10.34-0ma
emo2\+0m6_armel.deb
Aegis rejecting gstreamer0.10-tools_0.10.34-0maemo2+0m6_armel.deb: package 'gstreamer0.10-tools' origin cannot be determined -- signature check failed
aegis aborting dpkg -- all listed package files rejected
Compilation failed in require.
/home/user/MyDocs #