Active Topics

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
If you run Mepis laptop on LAN and other laptop on WLAN performance is acceptable? At this point I'd start to do some packet capturing...
The performance is really good when I ssh from N900 to another computer. WLAN works okay with number of other devices, laptops, iPhone, N95.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by borisR View Post
The performance is really good when I ssh from N900 to another computer. WLAN works okay with number of other devices, laptops, iPhone, N95.
Hang it on charger, put PSM off, and ping the thing. It should increase. Else, run tcpdump on the N900.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Thanks pycage.
It works somewhat better now. Still it is very slow response to commands entered, seconds, sometimes tens of seconds. Do you see the same ?
No, I don't see this. You could try switching power-saving from highest level to medium on the N900 if you haven't already done so.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I strongly suggest getting a Linksys / Cisco WRT54GL router and flashing custom firmware. I have had no problems with that router, while I have had many problems with other routers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
The router does not explain that ssh from N900 out works well. scp initiated from N900 ( copying from a laptop to N900 ) produced 963.7KB/s.

to finish the story, turning PSM off solves the problems. Thanks everyone for the help.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
PSM? Power saving? That's not a solution, that's a workaround or a hack. You'll notice your battery draining much more quickly with power saving disabled.

A good router is the actual solution.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
to finish the story, turning PSM off solves the problems. Thanks everyone for the help.
And how did you turn it off?

Originally Posted by yncyrydybyl View Post
And how did you turn it off?
Settings->Internet Connections->Connections->Edit connection->Next ( several Next - until Advanced appears ) -> Advanced->Other->Power saving.
There are three options, Maximum, Intermediate and Off. In my case ssh works with Off selected, does not work with Maximum and somewhat works with Intermediate.

The Following User Says Thank You to borisR For This Useful Post:
Ouch, with PSM off you can expect your uptime to drop dramatically. For me it's a 48 hours down to 2.5 hours change (until the device starts to beep for 'low battery warning').