Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
[OT]
Originally Posted by ulyaothshadow View Post
Lets get together and finally develop a document editor for harmattan. Hope we can finish it at least before jolla is officially released for n9.
I don't think you have to be very fast to achieve this.

@electroaudio: Assembler has no special value for this purpose. Instead of learning assembler, he could also study the formal definitions of RAMs. Designing logspace algorithms also helps in getting an intuition about pointers, but none of this is realy needed, if you want to program your first app.

[/OT]

can anyone please tell me what are the basic software we have to setup for development and is there any kind of emulator for testing using windows system...??? it would be great if anyone create a video on sample code development...

Thanks in advance !!!

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
What a load of utter crap! Try this. And This.
Also this: http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/...ngInCPP2e.html

Requiring one to learn assembler as a prerequisite for C++ sounds rather weird indeed I don't mean that learning assembler isn't good in itself, but it shouldn't preclude anyone from learning C++.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by sudarsan_avs View Post
can anyone please tell me what are the basic software we have to setup for development and is there any kind of emulator for testing using windows system...??? it would be great if anyone create a video on sample code development...

Thanks in advance !!!
http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/...f8/Qt_SDK.html

That toolkit contains way more than you need. It's kind of the opposite of pen and paper. And yes, an emulator is installable.

That should answer your question.

Although I can't help but asking: How come you hadn't found that yourself yet?

Curiosity is a great asset when wanting to learn anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Found the below link on "Create your own first application for N900", just want to share....

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75725

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sudarsan_avs For This Useful Post:
Learn assembly while learning C or C++:

Code:
g++ -S ...

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
qwazix,

Only pointed (pun intended, yes...) to bash because I think it's the place where most people start to understand the fundamental ideas behind programming.

Single line execution is also nice, I guess, when you're just starting out.

But above all: The command line and scripting for it, seems less intimidating to me when you first try and understand how programming works. For that reason, I also concluded my post by stating that pen and paper should not be overlooked

Having said that, you are of course right, bash is not the best place to start programming. But it is a nice place to get your feet wet and see if you can live with the temperature of the water.
It's just that the way of working with variables in bash is so different than most of today's languages, that it would probably confuse him more than help.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by frafI View Post
@electroaudio: Assembler has no special value for this purpose. Instead of learning assembler, he could also study the formal definitions of RAMs.
I think that wikipedia page was a lot more complicated than explaining assembler/ML actually needs to be.
But nonetheless it was a good link to all the assemblerknowledge needed to have, to make it much easier to learn C.

Originally Posted by frafI View Post
but none of this is realy needed, if you want to program your first app.
A Python intepreter and a python tutorial that he likes, is all he needs...
-C is way to complicated for a newbie.

In an announcement that has stunned the computer industry, Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan admitted that the Unix operating system and C programming language created by them is an elaborate April Fools prank kept alive for over 20 years. Speaking at the recent UnixWorld Software Development Forum, Thompson revealed the following:

"In 1969, AT&&T had just terminated their work with the GE/Honeywell/AT&&T Multics project. Brian and I had just started working with an early release of Pascal from Professor Nichlaus Wirth's ETH labs in Switzerland and we were impressed with its elegant simplicity and power. Dennis had just finished reading 'Bored of the Rings', a hilarious National Lampoon parody of the great Tolkien 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. As a lark, we decided to do parodies of the Multics environment and Pascal. Dennis and I were responsible for the operating environment. We looked at Multics and designed the new system to be as complex and cryptic as possible to maximize casual users' frustration levels, calling it Unix as a parody of Multics, as well as other more risque allusions. Then Dennis and Brian worked on a truly warped version of Pascal, called 'A'. When we found others were actually trying to create real programs with A, we quickly added additional cryptic features and evolved into B, BCPL and finally C. We stopped when we got a clean compile on the following syntax:

for(;P("\n"),R--;P("|"))for(e=C;e--;P("_"+(*u++/8)%2))P("|"+(*u/4)%2);

To think that modern programmers would try to use a language that allowed such a statement was beyond our comprehension! We actually thought of selling this to the Soviets to set their computer science progress back 20 or more years. Imagine our surprise when AT&T and other US corporations actually began trying to use Unix and C! It has taken them 20 years to develop enough expertise to generate even marginally useful applications using this 1960's technological parody.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Way to go helping a total newbie by recommending him ML/assembler :-D. Troll or be trolled!

And btw to the OP. C is a simple language, not at all difficult for a newbie. It was the first real programming language I learned (if not counting Pascal, I disliked that one). Python is probably a good place to start with though.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2013-01-22 at 21:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

Tags
beq r1, bx argue, if (seekadvice), return argue();