Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Yes, the writer, Vlad, can really be taken less biased with his history. As less biased as you are.

I really couldn't get this: "Screen transitions and in-app animations go from left to right, inviting the user to swipe from right to left to go back, but that’s not how you’re supposed to do it. A notification pops down from the top of the screen, but if you try to swipe down to view it, you're liable to unintentionally close your current app, or more annoyingly, lock the entire phone."

I now have the phone in my hands, and just can't understand what he is writing in here. Also wondering whether this writer really have some serious problems upstairs. In the same article he tells how the notifications are accessed swiping up from the bottom and then in the next sentence he is wondering why he can't do it by swiping down from up.

Don't know now, maybe I should start to feel sorry for him also and not only for Lumiaman.

Hmmmmm....

How about all the crashing he describes? Several people have mentioned it here too. That is unacceptable for a competitive OS, no matter how beta it is. To produce such a device just give it to developers, clearly not ready for prime time. N9 all over again. Based on these reviews, Jolla folks have NOT learned their lessons. Too bad. But this is not a good beginning. They had sooo much to prove and they put out an alpha device. Inexcusable.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by haliava View Post
I beg to differ. At least N9 MfE implementation is more or less fine - and in any case orders of magnitude better than anything coming out of the box on Android devices. One on N900 was ok'ish also, except lack of policies support.
More or less fine? I hope you don't work for Jolla as such uncritical attitude will doom the company.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki
Oh well, just bought my friends another Jolla (he had two from wednesday).

First impressions: W-O-W aaaawesooome

The Following User Says Thank You to inffy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
How about all the crashing he describes? Several people have mentioned it here too. That is unacceptable for a competitive OS, no matter how beta it is. To produce such a device just give it to developers, clearly not ready for prime time. N9 all over again. Based on these reviews, Jolla folks have NOT learned their lessons. Too bad. But this is not a good beginning. They had sooo much to prove and they put out an alpha device. Inexcusable.
Happy to have people like you and many persons commenting on the article living in this imperfect world.
Let's hope you guys would not buy this device for a long time. This gives Jolla and the buyers the chance to iron out every issue and enjoy the journey to make a good product even better.

Yes crashing and rebooting is not good but software updates will fix this. We bought this device because we believe in change, because we believe in supporting a company that wakes up every morning and starts coding and fixing those issues (+enabling new features) until late in the evening, not because they're getting paid to do this but because they share the same believe as their current buyers.

Don't forget;
"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

Comparing to Android / iOS etc is not what interest us... I've here all the latest models from the key brands and you know what? I prefer to use an N9... Are the others bad? Not at all. Should I compare and start writing comments like this is DOA etc... No because it's easy to complain. And by doing so you feel good because there's a whole group of people backing you up.
But true innovators don't compare, they work today and dream about tomorrow and I truly hope Jolla will be one of them so we can enjoy this ride.

The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to wout.martens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by att View Post
Favorities are saved on second screen of the browser which can be accessed by selecting boxes (number of tabs open is shown inside of boxes) at the middle of bottom bar when it is shown. Not sure about reading others while loading, because it seems that when I change and select another tab it will reload the contents of that tab.
This is true it seems. It really does reload the tab again when changing them. I also think that this is bad. In the N9 used to open several windows background and then just switch between them. This browser doesn't seem to handle this well

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I still don't have a good idea of how to do it right. Flooding the screen with hundreds of entries is probably not the right thing to do.
Suggestions are welcome.
Think: summary
On your feed screen it simply says:
[x] Updates since last refresh
[y] Unread

Click on the 1st line and it goes to a screen showing all the feeds with the latest read/unread at top
Click on the 2nd line and it goes to a screen just showing unread, with latest at the top

Give option for specific notifications from sites for those folks who like to pay attention to specific updates. That would look like
[x] Updates from Favorite Site

Hope that helps

EDIT; Let's get fun with it
App is open in multiscreen view
App shows number of new feeds or icon of latest updated feed item
Semi gesture to go to just that feed
Full gesture movement to see entire feed list

UX thinking is fun ain't it... guess I need to get a Jolla in hand to help out more than just writing words

Last edited by ARJWright; 2013-11-29 at 16:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
From The Verge article (written by Vlad):

"transitions and in-app animations go from left to right, inviting the user to swipe from right to left to go back, but that’s not how you’re supposed to do it. A notification pops down from the top of the screen, but if you try to swipe down to view it, you're liable to unintentionally close your current app, or more annoyingly, lock the entire phone."

I think he has pulling from outside the screen messed up with pulling from inside the screen. And maybe he was remembering N9 with the events feed, or even some other OS/UI. Anyways I think it's invalid to say the Ui's logic is unintuitive solely for the reasons he mentioned. For an UI to be intuitive it shoudn't be similar with other dominant UIs in the market but instead it should have clear and consistent logic in it's operations within all aspects of the UI. I think Vlad more or less got those two messed up and I think that as very unprofessional of him.

The crashing, yes it can happen now but hopefully there will be less of it when all the early "childhood" bugs will be fixed.

PS: Some good pictures depicting the logic of the UI (edge gestures only though):

Pictures from Jollausers

EDIT: All edge gestures (except swiping down) are transition gestures (to move between home/app/events) and all gestures starting inside the edge are in-app gestures afaik so it's very easy to be blame the UI if one doesn't know there's a difference. It seems Vlad might have not known the difference.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-11-29 at 17:32.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Yes, the writer, Vlad, can really be taken less biased with his history. As less biased as you are.

I really couldn't get this: "Screen transitions and in-app animations go from left to right, inviting the user to swipe from right to left to go back, but that’s not how you’re supposed to do it. A notification pops down from the top of the screen, but if you try to swipe down to view it, you're liable to unintentionally close your current app, or more annoyingly, lock the entire phone."

I now have the phone in my hands, and just can't understand what he is writing in here. Also wondering whether this writer really have some serious problems upstairs. In the same article he tells how the notifications are accessed swiping up from the bottom and then in the next sentence he is wondering why he can't do it by swiping down from up.

Don't know now, maybe I should start to feel sorry for him also and not only for Lumiaman.

Hmmmmm....
Despite what he knows/doesn't know, or what's ingrained from the mainstream platforms that are usually reviewed, these are signs that there are aspects of the UX that will take some learning that aren't "a given" as much as those of us who might still rock a N9/50 would think. Even in this kind of a review, that means something about the UX works, and another aspect is actually not connecting cognitively.

Doesn't really matter whom you are, a new UX is hard to learn, and harder to program. There might be a need of a wizard that instructs on the movements when the device(s) are setup, so that there's less of that "oh how does this work." Yea, that feels like a step backwards for some of you, but that's how you ship a finished OS.

Being a beta doesn't divorce from the fact that the core character shouldn't come across better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
After doing a reset and a fresh set up when I got back onto UK soil on Thursday am I have yet to have a crash or need to restart the device.

It is taking a fair pounding too as try out things. In contrast my 3 week old Android tablet requires constant re-booting and attention.

Regarding the review you posted from neutral observer, I too found the gestures quite difficult at first. Much of this is due to switching on a daily basis between android, Windows 7 and 8, N9 and N900. I still use all these devices and getting used to Sailfish took a good intensive 24hrs of usage.

However the phone of choice is already my Jolla. By contrast it took over a week before i wanted to pick up my N9 over my N900.

Now if only i could port sailfish onto my tablet.......

Multi tasking works even better on the Sailfish and opposed to N9/N900. I did a short vid on youtube video running in a minimised browser window along with people app tiles moving too

Last edited by bockersjv; 2013-11-29 at 16:22.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post

Doesn't really matter whom you are, a new UX is hard to learn, and harder to program. There might be a need of a wizard that instructs on the movements when the device(s) are setup, so that there's less of that "oh how does this work." Yea, that feels like a step backwards for some of you, but that's how you ship a finished OS.

Being a beta doesn't divorce from the fact that the core character shouldn't come across better.
If I'm not mistaken, the 'first use videos' showed there is a wizard, but probably a reviewer would get a device that's already set up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience