Active Topics

meaning my intial repair request was approved, the device evaluated, deemed irrepairable, and job completed with no repair performed.

according to the warranty terms, they have done everything they can, and because it turns out replacing the phone according to them is cheaper than a repair(this is why i am wondering about DIY viability), and because the phone originates from another country(the US, i'm in Australia) the warranty can only be invoked for repair of my device, not replacement.

so now its being evaluated by a case manager liasing with higher powers to see if I can have dispensation for a special circumstance.

my argument is based on 4 things.

1. the way the care line and care centres have not kept accurate records of our communications, and the phone manner of the lower downs at the call centre, and general "customer experience"

2. the time spent dealing with them in the past 6 months. including my n97 experience.

3. the fact nokia created a situation where they had a phone that was miles ahead in terms of performance than the n97 in the n900, and that I shouldn't be punished by nokia for supporting them enough that I bought a phone that was only just officially released last week in Australia from somewhere else given that I value their products(this includes my loyalty to the phones, i have never owned a different branded phone in 10 years as a user).

4. as a general assumption, people who use smartphones obviously know they are designed to work on virtually all mobile frequencies, so how is it that they only supply warranties to the countries they are bought in when the phones can be used everywhere? my argument earlier about how if i(or a friend) rang saying i was from america on holiday in australia and my phone broke, there would have been a higher likelihood of this issue being resolved by way of a couriered out phone from the states- by my thinking they would get the call, tell me to go to the care centre, and then the care centre would send it to america after evaluating it, who would then send out another replacement. correct? so why is it not that simple in my circumstance when it could theoretically occur through me being deceptive?

the simple fact is, I have not been treated correctly for a long enough period of time that perhaps it is nokia who should be suprising me with a letter to tell me i will be receiving the new N8 when it arrives as a token of their apologies for their "customer experience" and thanks for me not wiping the floor with them.

Last edited by PipBoyBSOD; 2010-06-07 at 09:32. Reason: Updates

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipBoyBSOD For This Useful Post:
As a final Update, Nokia has granted me special privileges, and have decided to give me a replacement phone after all.

Thanks to all who were planning on helping me through the DIY process.

It took my 10 days, but I finally convinced nokia to keep me as a customer, and they have forwarded my job onto the head office as a matter to cause an effect on how their warranties work- ie, if it is withing warranty and you're in different country(that isn't EU) they will help you out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PipBoyBSOD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
I'm too using an imported (or also called export) N900, so if I am in need of a warranty usage I'd be sure to use this thread as reference.

well, it's going to suck for you more, because the Care Centres are being made useless by the new courier service nokia uses, meaning EVERYTHING will be done over the phone.

suffice to say, back and forthing is just one horrible experience..

oh, and you need to be a dick... I don't know why, but being a dick is the only way they do stuff.. if the person who takes your call is being useless, refuse to get off the phone, if they hang up, email nokia and tell them they hung up on you..

this was a struggle from start to finish until I got someone who wasn't sitting in a call centre to help me. the fundamental thing is that you get the call about 4 levels above who you spoke to first...

Last edited by PipBoyBSOD; 2010-06-08 at 09:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipBoyBSOD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mipo View Post
Hello

I have N900 with broken USB and fix it by my self.

If you have electric soldering iron you can do it

Costs recovery:
- $2 new USB
- 2h (disassembly, find the connecting, fix, assemblage

I'm from Poland (Wroclaw) if someone want i can help.
Hello mipo, how did you found where to make the jumps?

Thanks

hey i cant find any sites that sell the same exact size charge port as the n900. Ive tried ordering 2 that "looked" similar but are off on the alignment or is a mid-mounted charge port. does anyone know where i can order one or at least a charge port that is almost 100% identical in dimensions to the OEM one?

Thank you for posting these instructions. I was able to repair my N900 USB using pictures you provide. Cost was, USB B connector 3 RMB and some 3 hours delicate work and soldering under microscope.
I remove only part of shield metal behind USB connector to have access to right components. Please look attached picture. Soldering looks terrible but it works.
Best Reg: OH2BTG
Attached Files
File Type: zip n900_usb_repair.zip (153.2 KB, 3805 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oh2btg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Yay count me into your USB problem pool! Mine just came off 5mins ago "FFFFUUCCCCKK" one pin is broken off only got 4 pins. The ground pin (leftest pin) is snapped. Am I screw?

maxximuscool: You might be able to just run a jumper-wire from the metal USB-port casing to ground somewhere else on the board(I assume the little pin's hard to solder to); Not sure if it'll work, but it might.

You could test it by:
1. Plug a usb cable into the port.
2. With a multi-meter, test between the shield/ground of the microUSB port and the ground pin(or perhaps casing) of the USB-A side of the cable for continuity.
If the resistance is low, you're good.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
maxximuscool: You might be able to just run a jumper-wire from the metal USB-port casing to ground somewhere else on the board(I assume the little pin's hard to solder to); Not sure if it'll work, but it might.

You could test it by:
1. Plug a usb cable into the port.
2. With a multi-meter, test between the shield/ground of the microUSB port and the ground pin(or perhaps casing) of the USB-A side of the cable for continuity.
If the resistance is low, you're good.
Unluckily, the other pin came off just now when I was soldering the other one. T_T i'm screwed.... "FCCCK" where can I get them new one?