Active Topics

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
good grief. i have just seem Quim's tweets about Gary and it has come as a massive shock.

I didn't know gary personally only though the forums and via twitter, but liked him enormously on the strength of that, and this has knocked me sideways this evening.

Condolences to Tracey and his family. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Dammit...

I spent a couple of days next to him in Berlin at the first Maemo Summit, where he first demoed his "Liquid" UI.

He was so full of energy and ideas, this is really hard to believe...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I hardly even spoke to him, but I remember him helping me on IRC and indirecly on the forums, always teaching and lending a helping hand.

Thoughts go out to his family and all those who knew him better than I did.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Habmala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Very sad news.

Condolences to his loved ones and friends.

Proud owner of a Jolla smart phone
Check this out !
http://www.jollatides.com/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WilliePre For This Useful Post:
This is really making me sad
I didn't know him personally, but talked with him and read his wonderful ideas in IRC @ #meego-fi.
He was an inspiring guy and I really liked the fact that he was one of the rare "net" people nowadays who preferred handwriting
Condolences to his family.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to matrixx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
The last time Gary and I met was in London at The Gardian's Hactivate summit this summer. He almost didn't make it along, but managed to get a sponsor through the work he did with Nokia N900 Push project. As always he was a bundle of fun. We talked a lot about the future of computing and all sorts of wacky projects we wanted to work on together.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Nothing will please lcuk's soul other than grilling FECKLOP's heart in burning ash. Target locked.

Just wanted to lift things up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
I remember Gary as a very cheerful energetic person, no effort was too much for him. He was a true dreamer, but also created some marvelous things.

He was a very active person in the community and helped out whenever he could. Always putting the community before himself.

He was present almost every event we had in the maemo community. Berlin, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Dublin, SF, in all those places we had a few beers. How many people do you now with whom you did that?

On the painfully funny side, I remember his finger accident in Helsinki. Every time I walk through those doors at Nokia, I can't stop myself from thinking about him.

One of the good guys is gone, I will miss him for sure.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
This is very sad news to here.

I did not really know Gary as many here may have but know his loss will be felt across the maemo community.

He will be missed by us all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I'm trying hard not no break down in tears after seeing this tragic news....

You will be missed, Gary. You have been an inspiration to many here in the community, especially with your unique ideas around the liqbase project. I will never forget your encouragement for my Ubuntu project, and our occasional conversations about new ideas on IRC. And even though we may have never met in person, I've always considered you a great friend.

My heart goes out to his family.

RIP lcuk, you will never be forgotten.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect