Notices

Thank you so much! I will buy a n900 today.

Thank you very much for this! Ever since seeing the application in the app manager I downloaded right away and have been playing with it. The one thing it was lacking was the N900-specific documentation, which you have now linked to.

Thanks again!

As a follow up. I've read through your documentation, I am wondering what functionality will I loose if I do not install the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users", and run Kismet with the stock kernel instead? Will I only loose the monitor mode ability, or other functionality as well?

Thank you

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
I've read through your documentation, I am wondering what functionality will I loose if I do not install the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users", and run Kismet with the stock kernel instead? Will I only loose the monitor mode ability, or other functionality as well?
The stock kernel generally supports monitor mode, but it only works on channel 6. So I have developed a patch to make monitor mode available on all channels and this patch is included in the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users" aka titan's power kernel.
Therefore if you run Kismet with the stock kernel, you will only find access points on channel 6.

The interface is difficult to control, and on my device at least, the Esc call does not bring up the menu. Local wireless networks are discovered well and announced through the "INFO:" statment printed to X-Term however there is no other functionality attainable as I cannot reach the menu!

Okay well I figured out the interface problems were caused by a faulty sudo gainroot package; downloading the latest update fixed the problem.
The wlan0 interface is not automatically attaching after kismet is closed.

xlp,

Thank you for the clarification. I have read a little about the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users" by Titan, but have been reluctant to install it thinking that it might break some stock N900 functionality. Also, I am concerned that the PR 1.2 update would not work with the Titan's Power Kernel. I guess this isn't really a question for you, but hopefully someone on this post can let me know if Titan's Power Kernel can be easily installed and uninstalled without breaking normal functionality.

Originally Posted by lxp View Post
The stock kernel generally supports monitor mode, but it only works on channel 6. So I have developed a patch to make monitor mode available on all channels and this patch is included in the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users" aka titan's power kernel.
Therefore if you run Kismet with the stock kernel, you will only find access points on channel 6.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by bro3886 View Post
The interface is difficult to control, and on my device at least, the Esc call does not bring up the menu. Local wireless networks are discovered well and announced through the "INFO:" statment printed to X-Term however there is no other functionality attainable as I cannot reach the menu!
I agree with you, but to make the ui better someone has to create a graphical ui for Kismet. I sadly haven't time to do it.

After pressing ESC you have to press at least once a cursor button to show up the menu.

Originally Posted by bro3886 View Post
Okay well I figured out the interface problems were caused by a faulty sudo gainroot package; downloading the latest update fixed the problem.
The wlan0 interface is not automatically attaching after kismet is closed.
You shouldn't need sudo gainroot at all, because Kismet also runs as normal user.

I think you have closed Kismet through the X button. That's the only case I haven't tested until now. I will try to fix it.
To circumvent this problem you should close Kismet through the menu or by pressing Ctrl+C.

Last edited by lxp; 2010-05-12 at 00:40.

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
xlp,

Thank you for the clarification. I have read a little about the "Enhanced Linux kernel for power users" by Titan, but have been reluctant to install it thinking that it might break some stock N900 functionality. Also, I am concerned that the PR 1.2 update would not work with the Titan's Power Kernel. I guess this isn't really a question for you, but hopefully someone on this post can let me know if Titan's Power Kernel can be easily installed and uninstalled without breaking normal functionality.
The new Titan Kernel has its own 'remove kernel' app in the main menu when you install latest version from the repo's this should make it very easy to uninstall.
The kernel will not overclock your n900 unless you create a file with the setting for that in it.
the only thing you will new to worry about is that if you want to recalibrate the touch screen it will crash the calibration app due to a joystick driver that is installed as part of the kernel.

Hope that helps

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the response, it sounds like Titan Kernel is fairly safe to install, assuming I can revert back to stock easily. This is definitely worth it in order to get full Kismet functionality working.

I also assume I would need to revert to stock in preparation for the PR 1.2 upgrade?