Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I like pie.

Tim
Sweeping generalization.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
fun fact: i share my birthday with johnny appleseed!

(but he's not invited to my bday party [see tags])

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I like pie.

Tim
http://www.truveo.com/Jim-Gaffigan-%.../id/2925977195
"Pie is like liquid cake."

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-04-01 at 03:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by dick-richardson View Post
I did, really enjoyed it.

Honestly, I think part of it comes from the complexity of it. Neal Stephenson in his book "In the Beginning was the Command Line" uses the difference between taxi service in New York and Egypt. It's a great read if you get a minute. What I'm trying to say is, patience arises from understanding. 100 years ago, the most technical concepts were largely able to be understood by everyone. Today it's a little different. Even common terms like 'theory' aren't fully understood by a significant portion of society, resulting in debates about the validity of Evolution.

Anyway, it was a great link.
That sounds very Jeffersonian. He was a strong believer in the idea that anything was learnable by anyone and that specialties (and the terms they use) are created by the professionals as a sort of job security and self validation. Until then, there was no required set of basic sciences or clinic training to become a doctor. Most schools only required a 3 month apprenticeship with a physician and no one actually cared if they showed up to work with the physician during those 3 months.

It's an interesting theory, regardless of one's opinion of the specifics.

Edit: I don't think I made any sense... I agree with you. Also, I was trying to say that the idealogy that everything is learnable has often been attributed as a Jeffersonian theory. It really caught on and was a main tenent of industrialized nations (especially the US) until about the end of the 19th century (like you said, about a hundred years ago). Then, to use my own career as a reference, people realized they might prefer their doctor to know more than the average person and wanted that person to have devoted a significant portion of their life into studying and perfecting the art of medicine (or whatever other profession they had chosen). It wasn't until around 1890 that Harvard made the revolutionairy step of requiring that doctors go to school and learn basic science for a minimum of 10 months. No one liked that idea and their enrollment suffered heavily for the next 10 years. That's right...you could once become a doctor at harvard in 10 months.<--wish I could have got on that boat!

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-04-01 at 04:01. Reason: I think it was Jeffersonian, no Jacksonian (I get them confused)

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
That sounds very Jacksonian. He was a strong believer in the idea that anything was learnable by anyone and that specialties (and the terms they use) are created by the professionals as a sort of job security and self validation.

It's an interesting theory, regardless of one's opinion of the specifics.
I'd largely agree with it. The only variations when it comes to mental capabilities IMO are aptitude and desire. So someone wanting to learn advanced physics certainly can, but it may take one person longer than another to grasp the concepts.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Robb, c'mon, admit it, you're nothing more than a cherry picking button pusher. You try to manufacture negative emotions from people for sport.
You got my attention with that, daperl, because that's not my intention or my desire. If that's really the impression you get from reading what I've written, then I'm as inept at communicating as Omega is.

I hope people will give some thought to what I've written. I hope it's worthy of thought. But I'd prefer that they be able to consider it calmly and reflectivelty. So no, I most certainly do not want to push your buttons and make you angry.

Sorry I'm so late in replying, but I've had a busy day away from ITT, and I'm not enough of an enthusiast to find the time to carry on involved conversations or debates here. There's more that I'd like to say, but I'm obviously not saying it well enough to be understood, or perhaps it's not important enough to be heard. This thread has moved on in several directions, some of which have turned out to be amusing, and I'll bow out.

Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
...and I'll bow out.
No need. Join in. Simple differences of opinion need not alienate you from frivolity.

havn't touched my n810 in almost 2 years. pidgin is buggin the hell out, amsn doesn't want to work for me. and I cant seem to get msn working through googlechat thingy. oh and canola doesn't want to work for me either.

initially, before the honeymoon period wore of, everything was pretty exciting. I loved going through, adding progs, checking out the marmo site. adding repos, going into red pil / blue pill mode. having a program not working, and then going in and finding a new way to get it to work, login in as admin. etc

but now, honestly, I just need **** that works. seems as thought EVERYTHING is in beta stage, everything is a work in progress. I mean, I knew what I was gettiing into. and at the beginning I raved about how amazing this thing was. what I wanted the most is, a working, clean, fast MSN. and the ability to play roms and videos. for whatever reason gngeo freezes when I try and load a rom. and any msn I try and install doesnt want to work either.

simply put, if you want someone that just "works" as well as, lets say, installing apps works, as easy as it is on the iphone. search, click, install. skip it. but if you want to go on an epic adventure finding ways around bugs, updates, fixes and patches everytime you want to install a useful ap. this is perfect for you.

it is true though, what this guy is saying. people are quick to jump on whoever shittalks the n810. but to be honest. I see the n810 dying a slow death. I wish the n900 was here.

If I spent time, reflashing, and reinstalling apps, I'm sure I could get things working. however, I'm unable to even do a backup without my system freezing.....

I should pay someone to fix/install everything...

The Following User Says Thank You to kingka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
@kingka

the difference is, you actually seem like you would accept help.

Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
...then I'm as inept at communicating as Omega is.
Well, you can be your own judge. But as I mentioned before, I found your oversimplifications innacurate and misleading.

and I'll bow out.
Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive