Poll: Do you like EasyList?
Poll Options
Do you like EasyList?

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Amsterdam
I'm proud to announce that http://easylist.willemliu.nl now has 100 unique users.

This is a great milestone which I've never thought possible when I started out with my simple EasyList app on Maemo 5.

I hope everyone is still happy with the app and continue using it.

I'm looking for some people with a bit of spare time (+/- 30 mins) and knowledge of Qt Linguist and who is fluent in a language NOT in the list below:

* English
* Dutch
* Turkish
* Russian

The work to be done is to translate some text using Qt Linguist to a certain language. It would take approximatly 30 mins as there is not a whole lot of text.

Please leave a message if you want to help out.

You will ofcourse be credited in the About screen of the app.

Last edited by Willem Liu; 2011-11-09 at 14:36.

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Hi Willem (and other),
I'll give EasyList a try as soon as I can.

But I've read this entire thread and there is a feature I'd love to see: right now, EasyList sync with your own server. But it will be great to be able to sync with UbuntuOne Notes.

EasyList seems to be functionally very close to that, and that will be a beatiful replacement to the old Conboy on the N900.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Hi Willem (and other),
I'll give EasyList a try as soon as I can.

But I've read this entire thread and there is a feature I'd love to see: right now, EasyList sync with your own server. But it will be great to be able to sync with UbuntuOne Notes.

EasyList seems to be functionally very close to that, and that will be a beatiful replacement to the old Conboy on the N900.

Thanks.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. It's been suggested by many to include sync functionality with another service. And I do believe it's probably a very good feature to have, but sadly I will not try to include such feature, because my own knowledge is not up-to-par for the job.

As for Conboy, I don't know if it is being ported to Meego Harmattan or not. EasyList is not intended to be a replacement for any of the Maemo 5 apps. It's intended to bring the functionality and feel of the EasyList from Maemo 5 to Meego Harmattan.

In that, I hope I've succeeded.

However if you know Qt Linguist and you know French and want to spare 30 minutes of your time to translate my app then I would be really happy

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I'm follower of your project on the Nokia Dev portal, I don't know if you can directly send me information this way. If it is not possible you can send me the file to translate throught a direct message. And I'll do my best to help.

Last edited by romu; 2011-11-09 at 16:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
The following translations are done or pending:
* English
* Dutch
* Turkish
* Russian
* French
* German
* Italian
* Finnish

If you know a language other than the above and you want to help with translating EasyList to your native language then please let me know.

EasyList 0.0.20 out now!
  • Now added language support for: Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Russian and Turkish.
  • Rename and Add new list Sheets are now full screen instead of sized with a header. This allows the text fields to be visible in landscape mode when the virtual keyboard is opened.

Nice app, simple but very fit-for-purpose. One suggestion: Currently "synchronize" seems to mean "overwrite local data with data from server" (?). It might be better if it worked so that both server and client keep track of whether the data has been modified since last synchronization, and if only one of them has the modified flag on, then that one overwrites the other (on client only adding/removing items would count as modified, since ticking them as completed is not visible to the server). That way you could add new items also in the client and still synchronize without losing data. If both server and client have modified data, you could just ask the user to decide which one overwrites the other.

Or, for a simpler fix, just call the current functionality something other than "synchronize", e.g. "download".

BR,
--Oskari

The Following User Says Thank You to okoskimi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by okoskimi View Post
Nice app, simple but very fit-for-purpose. One suggestion: Currently "synchronize" seems to mean "overwrite local data with data from server" (?). It might be better if it worked so that both server and client keep track of whether the data has been modified since last synchronization, and if only one of them has the modified flag on, then that one overwrites the other (on client only adding/removing items would count as modified, since ticking them as completed is not visible to the server). That way you could add new items also in the client and still synchronize without losing data. If both server and client have modified data, you could just ask the user to decide which one overwrites the other.

Or, for a simpler fix, just call the current functionality something other than "synchronize", e.g. "download".

BR,
--Oskari
Those are very good suggestions and I've been thinking about this feature for a very long time.
There are problems to overcome with the current design. Right now it's compatible with N900 EasyList. That app was designed to only support one list download. It has always been a wish to implement multi list support synchronisation, but due to time constraints (and the many small feature requests and bug reports) I could never allow myself to start working on it.

If I was to implement multi list synchronisation support I had to alter the webservice and the N9(50) EasyList. Currently there is no protocol when retrieving an online list. It just downloads text.
So I need to design an elegant and flexible protocol. I had started on investigation between XML or JSON formats. Both have their (dis)advantages. My personal preference would be JSON, because it has a smaller footprint and my webserver only has so much bandwidth. But I've came across JSON size limit problems with other projects I've done. And to overcome that I had to implement a bit more complex handling of JSON.

The webinterface has to change as well. I would somehow have to allow multiple lists only for those users who are using that version of EasyList which support it. Ofcourse I could let the user decide for themselves.

Other dependencies: EasyNote. There is another project called EasyNote for the N9(50) which uses the exact same webservice as EasyList. The same features could be implemented for EasyNote as well.

The multi-list two-way synchronisation support is a big thing and I can only start it if I believe I have time to finish it.

For now I hope you can still enjoy the already existing features of EasyList. But do know that I want the multiple-list two-way synchronisation as much as you do

P.s.: The checked items can be saved as well. Just put an ! exclamation mark before the item you want to check in the online webinterface and sync that list with your EasyList app and you'll see that the item is checked
P.p.s: https://github.com/peppelorum/ajaxmee for interested QML developers who want to use JSON.

Last edited by Willem Liu; 2011-12-01 at 10:17.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Willem,

Well done on EasyList/EasyNote.

Is it possible to run our own EasyList web service? ie. is the code running on http://easylist.willemliu.nl/ open and available to run on our own servers?

Some people may not want their lists on someone else's server and possible also someone might want to write a desktop/symbian/iOS/Android version of EasyNote/EasyList that worked with the same service protocol.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: