Active Topics

I FIANLLY got my N900 from Dell yesterday, I am so excited!
Anyway, I really like the phone so far, it's taking some getting used to, but I'm working on it.
I have one very grave concern right now, though.
For some reason, any headphones I plug into the jack give a VERY loud, high pitch buzzing or frequency..If I slide the screen up, it gets even louder.
I would think this is some sort of grounding or shielding issue, but I dunno.
Either way, I'm really frustrated with this, since it's so loud it makes all of my headphones unusable on the thing. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Are you using the headphones that came in the box with the phone? I experienced the same thing with some apple iphone headphones. Yet with the Nokia headphones I don't hear any kind of interference.

Don't know much about the topic, but I am willing to speculate that the Nokia headphones have some kind of filtering (necessary for this phone) that regular headphones don't.

BTW, Iove your nick! DBZ FTW!

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York
same thing here

yea i got the same buzzing sound with other headphones.

Wait! Don't turn this into a breaker.
Is there anyone who can confirm that random headphones DO work? (Reviews say so)

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York
def not a breaker for me i love this phone so much you should see my facebook lol

It has to do with pins. The n900 has an extra pin for video output. Likewise the iPhone has a pin for audio control (play, pause, skip, etc.)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
same thing with my apple iphone headset, but with my creative noise cancelling headphones i don hear that loud buzz or any sort...

I can confirm that (on my n900) 3rd party earbud/mic combos do not work. I experience the same symptoms as my purple friend (the OP). I would guess that this is because the n900 cannot tell the difference between a headphone/mic combo and a TV out jack by itself and some circutry in the nokia supplied accessories does this job. Then again I could just be talking out of my arse

This is what I am working with.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
No buzzing noise from mine, but only used normal passive buds like UE's and Vmodas.