Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Couldn't it be that some of those 4 buttons are used for accented characters in sophisticated langages and, in such a layout, act as updownleftright only if pressed together with one of the modifier keys? I still cannot believe they really plan to release a hardware keyboard that lacks 13% of my language's characters (or moves them to some obscure ctrl+sym+shift-combination).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I still cannot believe they really plan to release a hardware keyboard that lacks 13% of my language's characters (or moves them to some obscure ctrl+sym+shift-combination).
All part of Nokia's plan to force the world to Lojban.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Couldn't it be that some of those 4 buttons are used for accented characters in sophisticated langages and, in such a layout, act as updownleftright only if pressed together with one of the modifier keys? I still cannot believe they really plan to release a hardware keyboard that lacks 13% of my language's characters (or moves them to some obscure ctrl+sym+shift-combination).
Just 13% ? I'm missing 25%, curse them latin alphabets with 44 letters ! Also, on a linux thingy I wouldn't mind accented cursors to be pgup/pgdn/home/end and such, but we're moving away from that target audience, I guess (going to xmodmap it anyway ).

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
But most of them seem to have only left+right (and not 4 directions like the English one), or at least that's what the Xmodmap seems to indicate (of course, this proves nothing).
Okay, let me try again:
I think that every available localization design (at least all those designs I have seen, and that were a few) will provide hardware keys that will make it possible to navigate in 4 directions which have 90 degrees difference between each other.

Better? :-D

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: