Active Topics

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
I have two questions:

(1) How can I use the Internet call with Google Talk? I'd like to use Maemo/Nokia apps to pull off voice and video communication over Google Talk to users of the Google Talk client and perhaps iChat users.

(2) What other applications can use the webcam as a webcam and not just a regular camera? Need the web part

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
(2) What other applications can use the webcam as a webcam and not just a regular camera? Need the web part
Haven't tried 1), but the built in SIP client works for 2) (At least it works between two tablets with SIP accounts.)

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
So if I try to call someone who uses Google Talk on another tablet, I'll see them?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I don't think video calls SIP<-->Gtalk works, but SIP<-->SIP does work for sure. Gtalk<-->Gtalk may work too.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Just tried to use it with the internet call+webcam gmail chat.
Didn't work the tablet keeps on calling after I accept on the PC

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
same here.

Gtalk on PC works between PCs
Tablet/sip/Gtalk to Tablet/sip/Gtalk talk work. But Tablet Gtalk call to PC does not.

So far, the only successful video chat between tablets is Gizmo5/Gtalk. Skype is still dragging the feet.

bun

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
there is also amsn, but i have never managed to get it to work. Its no tablet optimized, and it usually freezes or reboots the thing. I don't like Gizmo much, besides you have to ask other people to install a rather crappy software in their PCs. To then have it not work ¬¬. I was hoping the Gtalk thing would work with the tablet... I never thought I'd get so little use off the camera... When I got my n800 i though it would be really neat to videoconference anywhere.
I don't really mind the camera quality at all, its the fact that I can't really use it tham bums me. yeah, yeah, I complaint a lot, sorry about that.
G'Night
Elia

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
@eliagp: GTalk on the tablet works with each other, but not tablet to PC, with video.

bun

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
BTW

Gmail with video chat just released...

gmail.com/videochat

No support for linux yet... microb does not even show the chat menu , and it is not based on flash...

But I'm hoping something of these works for us maemo users in the mid future....

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Oh and Gizmo and SIP work with the webcam, I've used them regularly...

These are between N800 and a PC with gizmo and x-lite

Tags
google talk, n810, webcam