Active Topics

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
and why the hell quote and answer own post?
Now THAT is one of the reasons why I for one tend to ignore tmo - way too low S/N ratio.
I'm out too.

a PS to qwazix' post: google queries like
http://www.google.com/search?q=new+N...talk.maemo.org
(restricting search to tmo site) yield even sharper results, depending on what you're looking for.
And a personal remark: I don't agree too much with "the perfect N900" wikipage

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I'm upset ......I did have my part in it.....and ...qwazix I apologize .. I wasn't intentionally set on trying to rile you up...with the "Jack" business... .....and no I wasn't ok.....I did take some of what you said personally .... as personally you did......hell....more........

.and ordinarily wouldn't quote and answer my own quote....I needed the night just to calm down and get some sleep....and this morning the imp. reason here is my apology to you qwazix

I am upset by the whole buffalo issue....it was enough just keeping my cool and try to help the guy....I have never ever felt like that...The more I helped the more I just wanted to light him on fire.
He isn't an excuse or a reason for my poor behavior ....but it got the ball rolling.
But that isn't an apology....
this is..... I am sorry for upsetting you Qwazix .

Bloody hell. Well. having said all that ...there is one last crappy post.... of me simply upset with another person....truly crappy behavior.....a useless post and if ever there was something to delete....it's a good thing to delete here I think.

.Next.. over the next bit ... fix the mess I made of my posts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Dude, if you're going to delete something, how about deleting about two hundred of your useless "...". Okay, make it three hundred.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
every tmo user can delete own posts - just FYI if you haven't noticed yet.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Bloody hell. Well. having said all that ...there is one last crappy post.... of me simply upset with another person....truly crappy behavior.....a useless post and if ever there was something to delete....it's a good thing to delete here I think.

.Next.. over the next bit ... fix the mess I made of my posts.
Don't delete posts, please. It's annoying. For users in general, but certainly if you administer a big forum like this. Also, you may see your posts as useless, but it's very well possible someone learns something from it.

Lift up your chin, take it for what it's worth and don't let it bring you down. And if you really want to be sad and cry, there's always Daperl's new thread on not selling his or her N900.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90626

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Endsormeans, I apologize that I didn't read your full posts. But one possible approach to the issue of extracting info from tmo would be to create Q&A pages in the wiki with a common problem or question at the top and brief (again, I say, brief) snippets of answers from tmo with links back to the full quote. If people don't like how you or others do it, they can change it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Firstly I do wish to expressly thank everyone who gave me a slap upside the head, kick in the butt, sympathized, argued, agreed, made me see red as well as laugh all at once.
Next, while going to reinsert the throw-together folder (I poorly named upon reflection) the master codex, I realized that it was sorely lacking, but may contain the seed of promise. I ref. the post to here and am now throwing this onto the table with some ideas from you all attached in this post for what could be done with it.
Now the n770 folder is empty excepting the categorized subfolders, as well the n900 folder is scant and not very current.
Due mainly to the fact that it has been a long time since I've used my n770 and I have had my n900 for only 2 years now at best and only lately mess with it more than I used to or these folders would be full as well. The n8x0 folders have a bit in them and am sure I missed stuff.
So as it is it can simply be chucked at a new person or whoever. They download it, extract it, toss it in their favourites/browser bar for quick ref. , even for quick multiple opened browser cross-referencing of pertinent forum posts.
Instead of unintentional misdirection or digging everywhere for answers to a single or intertwined topic we can hand anyone this. For humungous threads that have many important edu. posts inside subfolders are there for them.
The best way to expand on this is if everybody who (even just recently stumbled upon) or has or knows of where there is looked-over, hidden, forgotten or buried questions/answers/ideas/projects (whether they succeeded or not, because once aired with easy access may have people interested in attempting different solutions now to problems that couldn't be solved then) (and it doesn't necessarily have to be from the forum, for example, there is a folder of "other websites" with interesting info from outside the site pertaining to the operating system and devices here) posts the link(s) in one locale with a category (and sub category if needed) name it would fit in, I or anyone else (for that matter) can give em a quick once over...pop them in the corresponding folder...if it already exists, state we got it. Add more different category folders as needed
Everyone benefits immediately. I for one am insatiably curious and I know there is tons of stuff out there I would love to read/study/test/try if only I knew where/what it was.

So up for vivisection is something that can have potential.
1- As it is we can simply hand it to anyone, especially new people and say " Trial-by-fire...READ IT ...It's as layman as it gets! " and honestly I am fine with that.
2-(If a completely separate thread is made with the sole purpose of simply putting up links and a brief statement of the category it is believed it should go into) We can add to it, we can pack it to the rafters and still it wouldn't be a bad quick ref. and exploratory reservoir. (I don't mind adding all the new links once every few days/ or week/ or month depending on how heavy they come in) and upload the revised folder ( people delete their old folder, download and toss up the new in their browser bar) correspondingly, eventually the links will trickle in.
3-If community is truly as curious as we believe then this could be an opportunity. With quick multi-opened browser cross ref. then in a few weeks/months/or a year (depending upon response and the amount of info) creating something comprehensive in the wiki with a decent simple interface like what was suggested could be doable and adding or updating sections when members found they needed updating/revising a piece of cake.
Whatever ideas could be integrated into this to make it better should be thrown around, if the consensus is that it won't fly or there is a better idea(s) then that's more than ok with me too...if I can pitch in however I can great, I am happy to.

Heck better still.... add to it if you can or wish to, upload your zipped version I'll download it and add all the additions to mine and reupload the revised version with all the new additions bingo!. If EVERONE has a copy of this in their browser bar and while they are looking through maemo.org run and into something good then bookmark it in the category it should be in...saves me the trouble and makes revisions fast.

Here is the folder, a couple of broken links don't work (nokia's I believe) other than that this works

P.S. - I am terribly sorry for the post length, this was as concise as I could get it.
endsormeans
Attached Files
File Type: zip Maemo 09-06-13.zip (237.7 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-09 at 08:47. Reason: forgot

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
endsormeans,
Why don't you apply to be a forum moderator for the n800 sub-forum? That way you could fix threads you think need fixing i.e. linking solutions back to OP and/or merging duplicate threads?

As things stand, there are very few active users of the n8x line of devices hence it's easier if someone who is actively using one of those devices to moderate that sub-forum.

Note: Above is my sole opinion and may not represent the forum administrator's view.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
good idea the dead . and why just 8x sec ? Let 900 sec to be moderated then at least we would have some threads consolidated with good information step up endsormeans its time?)

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Honestly I have had a nit in my hands every day (no lie) for the last 5 years (I know it's at least five...hard to remember when I didn't have one to hand everywhere I went...huh! would that make me some kind of nit-junkie?) , I was always here reading, and studying and trying and testing stuff concerning the os's and the programs and all the good juicy stuff.
I think I have some good ideas (whether they work , physically work and work well... inside the mechanics of the structure here is another matter)
I think I have some decent tweaks and improvements...and a few "alakazaam's" so to speak to pull out of my hat.
But the finer niceties and protocols of the functions, mechanisms,cogs and gears of the forums, garage, wiki and well ....how this place "works" I didn't study. There are lots of people who would know how to do the job a thousand times better than I. I'm not saying this to deny responsibility or false modesty. There must be thousands here who know how to do the job! ...where I wouldn't even know where to start.
Not to mention after you guys having to deal with the likes of buffalo and worse and people having meltdowns as a result ...like me...I'm not sure whether the job you have is a blessing or a punishment . I am glad you guys are here though... or it would be a ruinous mess.
So especially after my fission moment I think I would think (and for good reason) I would be the least fit on the list of candidates
And I am certainly humbled by the thought anyone here would even consider it. All I can think to say is I thank you for that.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-09 at 16:41. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post: