Notices

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
Anyone know any information on the the maps application and what featres can be used and which require a subcription. For example if I wanted voice directions, would I need a consant internet connection or just enough to buy a subscription.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
As far as I know: The application and map data are free download. You can browse the maps in the device without subscription/activation. The routing part (entering addresses, asking to create route, and voice prompts) are premium service that you need to purchase a license.

This is correct in my understanding as well.

Thoughtfix hosted a impromptu live show of the n810 yesterday and we showed the routing process..and it didn;t require any extra suscription. oNLY VOICE AND EXTRA WAYPOINTS, AS WELL AS LIVE TRAFFIC REPORTS.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by scrappy898 View Post
Thoughtfix hosted a impromptu live show of the n810 yesterday and we showed the routing process..and it didn;t require any extra suscription. oNLY VOICE AND EXTRA WAYPOINTS, AS WELL AS LIVE TRAFFIC REPORTS.
You get few days free trial...

From the above page:

The Map application can be downloaded and installed from an application repository using Application Manager of your Internet Tablet. Alternatively you can get Map application back by flashing OS 2008 edition to your device again.

Wayfinder Navigator Nokia N810 Edition
What's Map on my Nokia N810?
Nokia N810 Internet Tablet includes a pre-installed free map application by Wayfinder. Map application in Internet Tablet enables you to browse detailed street maps, position yourself on the map and see the direction and distance to any chosen location. You can search for locations, like addresses, WiFi hot-spots and points of interests (POI).

Depending on region, there are local maps pre-installed in every Internet Tablet device. You can download additional maps free of charge directly to your Internet Tablet device over a WiFi connection.

Navigation
Wayfinder Navigator provides premium navigation features as an upgrade to the pre-installed map application on the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet.

Wayfinder Navigator features voice guided turn-by-turn navigation in 15 languages. It takes advantage of the maps stored on the Internet Tablet device and fast and reliable route calculation gives you right directions to your destination. You can choose between car, pedestrian & bicycle routing modes and do route planning also without a GPS signal coverage. Where available, Wayfinder Navigator provides useful additional on-line services, like real time traffic information and safety camera data-base updates.

Purchase Wayfinder Navigator
Wayfinder Navigator is a premium service available for purchase. As a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet user you can try Wayfinder Navigator for 7 days free of charge. You can purchase the navigation feature online with a credit card directly from the Map application on the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet device.

You can also make the purchase using your PC and get a Wayfinder Navigator license on Wayfinder Online shop from October 27th 2007.

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
I'd like to see a review of this, I was initially quite excited to hear about the navigation but on reading the wayfinder website I couldn't work out how it works. I understand that you can pre-load the maps but it seems to suggest that the routing function is performed not on the device, but on the wayfinder servers. Additionally, they do advise in their FAQ that the software will use upto 60Kb of data per hour of driving...

With GPRS roaming in Europe at something like $14 per megabyte that could make for an expensive trip!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by fishd View Post
I'd like to see a review of this, I was initially quite excited to hear about the navigation but on reading the wayfinder website I couldn't work out how it works. I understand that you can pre-load the maps but it seems to suggest that the routing function is performed not on the device, but on the wayfinder servers. Additionally, they do advise in their FAQ that the software will use upto 60Kb of data per hour of driving...

With GPRS roaming in Europe at something like $14 per megabyte that could make for an expensive trip!
After doing a little research it seems Wayfinder acquired Navicore back in July of this year...

>> http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...01&newsLang=en

... so previously posted reviews of Navicore on the N800 may give you what you are looking for.

>> http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer...n810_announce/

I use Navicore on my N800 and am relieved to hear this. It means my previous purchased license can be applied to the new OS and it will unlock all features. BTW, all these features are stored on the device and do not require a net connection.

It also means that my recent efforts to convert useful (for me ) POI's to the Navicore format will not have been waisted.

>> http://my.opera.com/yodude/blog/

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-10-20 at 12:17.