Active Topics

I have quite a few problems trying to install stuff on my n800 i have updated to the newest os 2007
But i cant install phonelink so that i can send sms using my n800 over bluetooth.

Also i have problems getting connected to the internet using my nokia 6111 as a bluetooth modem it says :subscribe to packet data first.

Also is there any way to print text files or photos from the n800?.

Is there any other place that i can download software for my n800 on maemo.org i keep getting
Missing install next to the downloads and there are programs i need and i cant download them because of this.

One last thing can i get msn on the n800 and how can i setup gmail on it? & can you install linux Debian software on the n800? and can i use remote access to controll my pc using the n800.

Thanks in advance i am a total N00b when it comes to the n800

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London, UK
Hi Neatan, welcome to the forum. I'm no expert by any means but I'll share what little knowledge I have.

1. I've never used phonelink so can't help there.
2. Make sure you have access to the 'net via your mobile phone browser before trying to use it as a modem. If all else fails I'd contact you network operator.
3. again, I'm not familiar with printing from the N800 but I know there are a fair few threads around here on it. Try a search of the forums.
4.When you're downloading from Maemo and there's a missing install try clicking on the name of the app and then clicking on the homepage link on the next page. Sometimes IME installs are hidden away.
5.Sorry dunno about Gmail or the debian question but I do know you can install Rdesktop to give you remote access.

Hope I've been of some help.

B

To the best of my knowledge (which is quite limited,as I haven't even ordered the n800 yet) the OS is based on Debian, but the n800 uses an ARM processor, not a x86 one (what you find in all modern PC's*). As a result, you can't use all the applications you could use on a desktop Linux system (like my Ubuntu system). Applications have to be ported to the n800. Many have been. You can use maemo and there are lots of other repositories. Try to find tutorials online and search the forums. Regarding printing, it should be possible to print to a networked printer. Of course, I have no idea how. Good luck.