Active Topics

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Hi! just unpacked and fully charged my new N800..it's awesome!
Just my firsts questions (donīt laugh at me, cause maybe those are stupid questions)
-Can I use the N800 using the ac adaptor when I am home (instead of battery power)?
-Can I remove the screen protection film that cames from factory, or is it best to keep it on place? (already peeled off but can place it again);it is necessary to buy some screen protectors to keep the display in good shape?
-Do I need to get the battery fully empty before recharging it or, just cell phones, you can charge it despite it is not empty?
Thanks!!

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by akd View Post
Hi! just unpacked and fully charged my new N800..it's awesome!
Just my firsts questions (donīt laugh at me, cause maybe those are stupid questions)
-Can I use the N800 using the ac adaptor when I am home (instead of battery power)?
-Can I remove the screen protection film that cames from factory, or is it best to keep it on place? (already peeled off but can place it again);it is necessary to buy some screen protectors to keep the display in good shape?
-Do I need to get the battery fully empty before recharging it or, just cell phones, you can charge it despite it is not empty?
Thanks!!

In reverse order:

Avoid discharging the battery all the way. Recharge at any point.

Throw the clear factory screen cover away. It is not nec. to use a screen protector of any kind.

You can use the N800 while it is plugged into the charger.

Now, goto maemo.org and download numerous extra applications to enhance your new N800.

http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2007

Highly recommended are:

Mplayer
Maemo Mapper
Kagu
Canola
Mclock
free42
camera
maemo recorder
maemochron

ENJOY !!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Thanks a lot, you've solved my intrigues...I will be downloading extras the weekend, right now I am very excited to do something!
Just curiosity, how you can be able to get the small clock, weather conditions, etc on the desktop? those are all apps that required to be downloaded?...thanks again!!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
Throw the clear factory screen cover away. It is not nec. to use a screen protector of any kind.
Yeah . . . bad plan. Leave the factory protector on (you can peel off the tab) until you buy yourself a replacement from somebody like Boxwave.

Also, don't forget FBReader.

To put the small clock on the desktop...

click the Home pull down menu ( upper left corner of home screen )
then click select applets
then put a check mark to the left of clock
then click OK

~~~~~~~

to place the applet(s) click edit layout.

then Accept layout.

~~~~~~~~

It is all quite intuitive.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah . . . bad plan. Leave the factory protector on (you can peel off the tab) until you buy yourself a replacement from somebody like Boxwave.

Also, don't forget FBReader.
This screen protector infatuation is a matter of personal opinion.

If you are the type of person who leaves the plastic on a lampshade in your home after you buy the lampshade, then I suppose you'd leave plastic covering your car seats, your living room furniture and your personal electronic gear.

My Brother has screen protectors on everything. When I try to use his Dell Pocket PC I have to look at a screen thru his scratched up plastic screen protector. LAME. Come to think of it he put seat covers on his brand new car seats.....why? to keep the seats nice for the NEXT OWNER? The heck with that. If it were my car, I WANT to enjoy the seats / wear them out.... the next guy is buying the car used AFTER I enjoyed it. I am not going to sit on plastic preserving the seats for someone who didn't buy the car new. I don't want to suffer looking at my N800 screen thru some "sheet" preserving the N800 for the next owner. I want to fully enjoy it, and that means the next guy gets it used, whatever that entails.

I want to see the beauty that is the 800x480 LCD screen with nothing between my eyes and the crisp LCD. A slab of plastic covering the screen is hideous. But that is my opinion.

I have been using my new N800 heavily for three weeks with nothing between me and the LCD. I poke at the screen with my fingers, fingernails and the Nokia Stylus. The screen is fine. Zero scratches. I have also owned Pocket PCs for years (first was the Cassiopeia E series, then Dell X3, X5, X30 Advance) and NEVER used plastic sheets over the touchscreens. No scratches. One key is to not let dirt accumulate on the screen. The dirt rubbed with the stylus will cause scratches. I keep my screens free of dirt and refuse to use those plastic sheets. You do what you want. I dislike sheets of plastic over my LCD screens.

That's my feelings on the matter.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-11-06 at 23:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)

(...)

My Brother has screen protectors on everything. When I try to use his Dell Pocket PC I have to look at a screen thru his scratched up plastic screen protector. LAME.

Think about it: Your brother's Dell's screen guard is all scratched up. Maybe he's onto something there...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Evidently. I'm just informing the poor guy of the prudent course of action if he wants to keep his N800 in good shape.

If you are the type of person who leaves the plastic on a lampshade in your home after you buy the lampshade, then I suppose you'd leave plastic covering your car seats, your living room furniture and your personal electronic gear.
Stupid analogy, you don't poke sharp objects at a lampshade whenever you use the lamp.

My Brother has screen protectors on everything. When I try to use his Dell Pocket PC I have to look at a screen thru his scratched up plastic screen protector. LAME. Come to think of it he put seat covers on his brand new car seats.....why? to keep the seats nice for the NEXT OWNER? The heck with that. If it were my car, I WANT to enjoy the seats / wear them out.... the next guy is buying the car used AFTER I enjoyed it. I am not going to sit on plastic preserving the seats for someone who didn't buy the car new. I don't want to suffer looking at my N800 screen thru some "sheet" preserving the N800 for the next owner. I want to fully enjoy it, and that means the next guy gets it used, whatever that entails.
It's "through", just in case you were wondering (this isn't McDonalds), and it sounds like your issues with screen protectors may have more to do with unresolved family issues than the protectors themselves. Perhaps your brother should buy some betters screen protectors. The Boxwave protectors I linked are both scratch-proof (I can attest to this after 4 months of heavy use) and able to reduce glare in bright-light conditions to improve visibility (especially helpful outdoors).

I want to see the beauty that is the 800x480 LCD screen with nothing between my eyes and the crisp LCD. A slab of plastic covering the screen is hideous. But that is my opinion.
That it is. The protector I use actually increases outdoor visibility, but, to each his own. :\

I have been using my new N800 heavily for three weeks with nothing between me and the LCD. I poke at the screen with my fingers, fingernails and the Nokia Stylus. The screen is fine. Zero scratches. I have also owned Pocket PCs for years (first was the Cassiopeia E series, then Dell X3, X5, X30 Advance) and NEVER used plastic sheets over the touchscreens. No scratches. One key is to not let dirt accumulate on the screen. The dirt rubbed with the stylus will cause scratches. I keep my screens free of dirt and refuse to use those plastic sheets. You do what you want. I dislike sheets of plastic over my LCD screens.
Wow! 3 weeks?! I used my 770 for a year and a half before I put a screen protector on, it's very scratched, and I should've done it sooner. From that experience, I now recommend to all new users that they pick up a screen protector. If they don't want to, they don't have to, but I figure they should probably be aware that the screen is going to get beat up if they don't have one, and it's much easier to replace a thin sheet of plastic than a whole LCD that's "scratched up" (Now that's LAME).

Screen protectors these days are cheap and effective. It's obvious you've never used one, as you seem to think that they're all A. Highly disposable (some are, but not the Boxwaves) B. Barely transparent, both of which are false.

Save yourself the disappointed later folks, buy a screen protector now!

As soon as I went to the site I knew I had to have these just for the antiglare protection. I don't use screen protectors for anything and I never have before. Everything I own w/ a screen either it be a week old or 5 years old doesn't have a serious scratch on it at all. But if what I hear about this bad boy outdoors is true- these are mandatory.