Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Ireland
hey everyone just a quick note wat u think is the internet tablet addictve??
1: yes
2: no
3: maybe

give a comment too....

well I admit that in the past few days i've noticed that when I have to walk across campus, i've been strategically planning my route to remain under wifi coverage as much possible. This is a little excessive, I don't need to be stopping on the sidewalk 7 times in a 10 minute period to carry on an IM conversation. maybe i need to teach myself to peck at the keypad while walking?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I'm an addiction doc, I mean I work with people with problems due to heroin, to cocaine, to alcohol and the so... and, well, yes I am addicted to my n800 :-0 (it's a joke, I am not *clinically* addicted) as well as I have been to a number of info gadgets, the first of whom was a texas instruments ti 57 programmable calculator.
How you know you are addicted to something? There are some official criteria which are quite generally used in clinical as well as legal environments, but, as a rule of thumb, when your interests and pleasures do get restricted to only one behaviour, or substance, which is repeated and repeated even in face of perceived negative consequences, and you possibly experience tolerance - in the sense you have to increase your dose of that behaviour to experience a good feeling - and dependence - without that behaviour or substance you feel bad -well you are addicted, and possibly you might need a professional help.
Now think of your use of the n800 or other gadgets and make your diagnosis by yourself...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Not at all ... specially when a firmware update is near ...

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Not at all ... specially when a firmware update is near ...
Don't make me nervous! Such comments make me feel as giddy as an addict probably gets when he hears of new "stuff" coming into town "soon"

Well, debernardis has kindly raised the bar in helping me understand that maybe my answer should be a hesitant "no." But the N800 has sure worked its way into my life in a very short time. She's with me all the time I call her "Mandy."

I'm more the practical sort who has never bought (nor could afford) the latest gadgets. I don't own an iPod or iPhone. I do have a Sandisk Sansa that someone gave me which plays my favorite podcast while I mow the lawn.

But, the N800 has freed me to be out of the office yet still be available. I didn't even know about the internet tablet until a daily check of Bargain Jack had the Buy.com sale. (Plus I'm new to the Linux world and think Ubuntu is fantastic.) I'm waiting to install lots of applications until I read your reviews on the new OS. Sure, I could live without the N800. But, I sure enjoy having it.

(And, I'll add that the enjoyment has been greatly enhanced by this board and the information available from it.)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
No! I could stop using it any time... if I wanted... probably...

About as addictive as visitng this site every 5 minutes for updates.. I need a life.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by jazzbass12 View Post
About as addictive as visitng this site every 5 minutes for updates.. I need a life.
can you actually wait that long? I'm impressed

Well, to be real honest I got to say that I take my IT everywhere I go. Several times I even forgot to put it away when I was going to take a bath. Fortunately, it survived taking bath.
But right now I've given it to my brother so it's real hard for me to be addicted to IT right now