Anyone happen to know the map format?

I'm wondering if the routing is done on the device (if you pay for the subscription)? If so the maps are presumably vector format with routing information (directions, speeds, etc.)

Might be an interesting project to implement a routing algorithm...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
I was thinking similar :-)

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
I was thinking similar :-)
In another open source car navigation project routing algorithm has been developed to run locally.
It all depends on the way Wayfinder maps data can be accessed.

Darius

Vector maps (or rather, their format) by navigation software companies are their best kept secret. Someone interning at TomTom said that they weren't even let near the area where people worked with maps.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=1005&lang=en-UK

3 # When the user chooses to navigate to one of the search results, a route is calculated by the Wayfinder Systems server. The user’s preferences determine now the route is calculated, i.e. the calculation takes account of current traffic problems, the user’s means of transport, utilisation of toll roads etc. As the user navigates, the phone continues to work as normal, which means that calls can be received and made, sms messages sent etc., without interruption to the service.
4 # The route is sent to your phone via the Internet.
I would say
Good luck..

So you need GPRS or 3G connectivity to have your route? Would cost me a fortune with my orientation skills

Ah, well if it's done on a central server that means there needn't be any useful data in the maps themselves. Fair enough.

Vector maps (or rather, their format) by navigation software companies are their best kept secret. Someone interning at TomTom said that they weren't even let near the area where people worked with maps.
I see the Garmin format is useable in Navit, don't know how they worked it out.

Anyway there are a number of mapping apps with routing, Navit for one, so still stuff to be done using OSM or Garmin data.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by free View Post
http://www.wayfinder.com/?id=1005&lang=en-UK

I would say
Good luck..

So you need GPRS or 3G connectivity to have your route? Would cost me a fortune with my orientation skills
But that page is for mobile phones. I hope the n800/n810 can do better.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Ah, so there's still hope then. Good good.

We should just ask someone who's used the routing function - thoughtfix for example.

Hey, I don't think they build a whole new app for OS2008. This is only an update to the Navicore app, so the routing is calculated direct on the N8X0. If I had to have always a connection to the internet during a tour to do the rerouting, then I would use maemo-mapper!

That's good news, so back to hacking the format