Active Topics

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Many of you are probably well aware of the numerous sources of radio interference which can effect proper WiFi functionality in your homes or small offices. For those who are not, take a quick look at this webpage. The guy is an engineer in Hawaii, and he has a nice short page (with pictures) showing how a common microwave oven, the kind you'll find in almost every home and office, spews out powerful radio interference in the exact frequency spectrum our WiFi networks ---and Bluetooth stuff--- use.

http://makiki.homelinux.net:2365/wireless/wispy/

He also mentions how some cordless telephones (and certain video cameras) can cause interference. With regard to the phones, they can interfere with our Bluetooth and WiFi even when they are not in use. There are other RF sources that adversely impact proper wireless networking that he doesn't get into. His page is short and sweet.

I post this thread so people will think about the number of possible causes when their Internet Tablets exhibit WiFi related ( and Bluetooth related ) problems. This includes, but is not limited to, dropped SKYPE calls and streaming Internet Radio.

2.4Ghz is filled with nasty, messy RF, and we expect our Internet Tablets to perform flawlessly in it all. If you are using your N8x0 to do some WiFi function and also doing Bluetoothing at the same time, those two internal things both use 2.4Ghz and are struggling to coexist without fouling (even when you are not microwaving that blueberry muffin and water for your next cup of hot tea).

Also keep in mind that your neighbors can be running a wireless access point (and be clueless about computers and networks) and they could have their equipment on the exactly same WiFi channel as yours. I see this on many occasions where I live and work. Even if your WiFi network is on a channel that is unique to you today, you should periodically run NetStumbler, Kismet or equiv. to be sure that no one turns on a AP on your channel without your being aware of it tomorrow. You should also know that WiFi channels overlap. This means you do NOT want to be on a channel right next to another channel which is in use by another wireless device.

If your Nokia IT happens to do something screwy at seemingly random times (like drop a Skype call), I hope we can all keep in mind the situation with the 2.4Ghz radio band. It is a mess and I'm impressed that it works as well as it all does.

M5

EDIT: Just because Kismet and Netstumbler may give you information that no one has a wireless access point on the same channel as you (or an adjacent channel) this is far from concluding that your network is interference free. Those tools only detect "select" types of wireless signals...... you may be inclined to think your N800 is fine streaming so long as you don't operate your microwave oven, but what about if you live in an apartment? You have no idea when the person on the other side of the wall (your neighbor) operates their microwave for a few minutes. Keep an open mind.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-11-16 at 12:56. Reason: clean up and add last piece

You must not be using Wifi Speed Spray and remember to always wear you tinfoil hat...., ;)

http://j-walk.com/other/wifispray/

The Following User Says Thank You to BOFH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
I liked the Art Linkletter endorsement. I'd order me some but they state that it is FCC approved and 802.11b compliant......my WLAN is 802.11g

LOL... I looked him up.....Art Linkletter is still alive too. The guy is 95 years old.

~~~~~~~

I broke your cherry... you have your first "thanked" stamp of approval now.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-11-16 at 17:34. Reason: added that I noticed I broke his cherry