Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is it possible with OS2008 to listen radio stations and see TV based on WinMedia streams? (With OS2007 I just am able to listen RM and MP3 based stations) Thanks.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
According to the specs the media player can handle wmv files also. i did not try it . I tried to stream embedded wmv in the micro b and tried to open the link in media player but it says media not found.

So that is until where i got...

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
you can try any wm radio, just pick one on www.vtuner.com and see what happens (vtuner is a nice radio listing by country, with stream type indication for each station)

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I was talking about streaming video not radio. I dont have it right now but will do later on. I use shoutcast.com to stream internet radio stations.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
For unsupported streams I use TVersity UPnP streaming the stream (HA) and with the 2007 OS either canola or media streamer to watch/listen. Now w/ the 20008 OS it seems that the regular built in media player plays very nicely with UPnP, so I use that with TVersity. I haven't tried any of the streams that were not previously supported directly.

Yes, I have also used TVersity and ORB, but want to know if the 2008 OS can handle WM streams (radio &/or TV) directly . As you can see, almost 70% of commercial radios streams on that format.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by akd View Post
you can try any wm radio, just pick one on www.vtuner.com and see what happens (vtuner is a nice radio listing by country, with stream type indication for each station)
Win media streams came back with "Could not play media, corrupted playlist" or something similar.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Ooohh...bad news
Sorry for my ignorance, but Is it a matter of hardware limitation, or just some app should be developed to get WM Streams working, or $$ issue?

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Win media streams came back with "Could not play media, corrupted playlist" or something similar.
Yes, I was getting that "Unable to open. Playlist corrupted." message and also "Unable to open. Media clip corrupted." and some reports of "File format not supported". The vast majority failed.

But a couple actually worked.... Kool 97.1 FM Jamaica (Win Media 64k); WHCN The River HD2 105.9FM (Win Media 32k). So it may depend on the exact Win format/codec they use.

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Interesting...If I would have some ability beyond make bubbles with chewgum, I would research and solve that...