I'm very interested in getting an n810, but I've heard no discussion of word processing on the n810. I'm a professional writer and need to be able to write and edit text, and don't want to be limited to the extremely narrow screen the Palm emulator provides. If there any program for the n810 that allows reading, writing, and editing of .txt, .rtf, and .doc (Word) files. I don't need spreadsheets, databases, tables (although tables would be nice) or pictures, just basic word processing. Is this possible now or is it likely to be possible soon?

I recall seeing an entry (with screenshots) on the Planet Maemo RSS feed that Abiword was ported to the OS 2008 fairly easily. I would expect an official release soon.

You can also use Google Docs if you are online. The word processor seems OK, but the spreadsheet doesnt work for me.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I recall seeing an entry (with screenshots) on the Planet Maemo RSS feed that Abiword was ported to the OS 2008 fairly easily. I would expect an official release soon.
Thanks for the info. I've seen reviews and screenshots of abiword and it looks absolutely perfect for my needs. My only worry is that I've seen some discussion of abiword being unstable and otherwise problematic on the n800. Hopefully, it will work considerably better in OS 2008.

Last edited by heron61; 2007-11-18 at 10:13.

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
I use my n800 for note taking all the time. I use leafpad. At first it was annoying not to have lots of formatting options, but after a while it became a good thing.

I keep all my notes in txt files. That way, I can read them on the n800, linux, windows. Plus the files are as small as possible can be.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by dormant View Post
I use my n800 for note taking all the time. I use leafpad. At first it was annoying not to have lots of formatting options, but after a while it became a good thing.

I keep all my notes in txt files. That way, I can read them on the n800, linux, windows. Plus the files are as small as possible can be.
Notecase (via garage.maemo.org) also has all that advantages, plus it gives more and flexible structure to notes. You can also encrypt your texts easily. Very useful and stable.

Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Notecase (via garage.maemo.org) also has all that advantages, plus it gives more and flexible structure to notes. You can also encrypt your texts easily. Very useful and stable.
Notecase http://notecase.sourceforge.net/ doesn't appear to support text files, it looks like it shoves all notes into one big (binary) file which I think was what Dormant by txt files.

I too am a big plain text file user for the exact same reasons, they work everywhere :-) I've a Pocket PC and use Tombo http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/ (windows ONLY) which uses plain text files also supports encrypted notes. I ended up writing a (pure) Python library http://code.google.com/p/pytombo/ to read/write the encrypted notes so I can deal with them under Linux.

When I get a N810 I plan on writing an interface for it. Right now I have a web based "grep" tool written in Python that should in theory work with Pymaemo (if BaseHTTPServer is installed as this is not part of Pymaemo yet).

One tip for plain text users is to use some sort of wiki-like markup language. I'm a big fan of Markdown (which is what the maemo wiki uses) - this is handy for making "pretty" documents if you need to print something out.

Chris

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by clach04 View Post
Notecase http://notecase.sourceforge.net/ doesn't appear to support text files, it looks like it shoves all notes into one big (binary) file which I think was what Dormant by txt files.
Also, it appears I cannot enter any text into Notecase at all, which arguably defies its usefulness as an editor.

Seriously, I installed it from the Garage, it starts, shows a blinking cursor, but none of the N800's editing utensils (HWR, stylus-board, thumb-board) show up. All I can do is stare at a mostly empty screen.

Kinda stupid. Erase...

Originally Posted by dormant View Post

Does this program work with RTF files? At bare minimum, what I need is a program where I can read, write and edit RTF files.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Also, it appears I cannot enter any text into Notecase at all, which arguably defies its usefulness as an editor.

Seriously, I installed it from the Garage, it starts, shows a blinking cursor, but none of the N800's editing utensils (HWR, stylus-board, thumb-board) show up. All I can do is stare at a mostly empty screen.

Kinda stupid. Erase...
Wait... I just read: this thing is read-only on the Internet Tablets. That's even dumber...

Mind you, to find that -- totally unimportant -- tidbit of information, you'd have to go to the "news" section of the author's homepage and scroll down the list until you find the N800 release note, which clearly says "read only". I cannot believe I did'nt see that at first glance. <insert_non-existent_sarcasm_smiley>

Let me guess, actually making and editing notes on the N800 is reserved for the commercial version...