Active Topics

Nokia has the N810 in stock and ready to ship as per my verification phone call one hour ago.

If you ask you can get a $75 discount making price $409.99.
Free Fedex shipping. You will probably also have to pay sales tax.

Nokia's number is 888-665-4228 (do a google search to confirm this is really Nokia if you wish). Choose option 1, option 2, option 1

Phone is shipped throught letstalk.com.

Nokia does some wierd validation checking. They will ask for your Social Security Number and maybe some other non-standard stuff.

I ordered mine on Friday Nov 16. At that time Nokia said they were back ordered. Today Nov 19, I got an email with tracking number for Nov 21 delivery.

Last edited by ajax1; 2007-11-20 at 09:54.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
Thanks for the heads up about availability.

Originally Posted by ajax1 View Post
Nokia does some wierd validation checking. They will ask for your Social Security Number and maybe some other non-standard stuff.
Eh. What?!?! That makes absolutely no sense. Why in the world would they need a SSN for the sale of an IT? A person's SSN should only be used for employment and tax purposes. I know a lot of businesses & some official instances like to get the number for credit and background checks, but I refuse to buy into that. It is the number one key to getting your identity stolen when some database is compromised, sensitive laptop stolen, ...

They would not take my order without giving my COMPLETE social security number. That any business has any need for my social is completely bogus. They can verify my credit using my name, credit card information, phone number and shipping/billing address. They tried to belay my fears by saying "It is just input into our system to generate questions that only you would know the answer to and is deleted immediately afterwards" and "The system we use is called Verid and is used by many fortune 500 companies including Macy's." I don't care if it is used by Macy's or not, even if the data were deleted immediately after use (which I have no way of verifying) there is no way in hell I am reading my social security number out to some random call center worker. The manager even called back 5 minutes after I hung up to try to assuage my fears and pry the information out of me. She had no rational responses to any of my questions. She even used a line about 90% of people carrying their ss #'s around in the wallets, which could get stollen too, so whats the big deal anyways...

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
let us know if you actually get it.... cuz that ssn crap is ..well... crap. they dont need to know nothin its a friggin geek toy leave us alone!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Did you see that "60 Minutes" piece about call centers that are outsourced to State and Federal Penitentiaries?

Yeeeesh!

I don't blame you... Refuse at all costs. Even if it is a valid means of ID and your dealing with a reputable company, this practice sets up a "norm" in public expectations...

When it becomes a "normal practice" for large corporations to ask for this info, it will make it easier for scam artists in the future to wheedle that info out of Mom's and Pop's.

Refuse to make it the "norm".

Their state of the art, ID system was a waste of money as far as I'm concerned

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-11-19 at 23:09.

Originally Posted by realcomix View Post
let us know if you actually get it.... cuz that ssn crap is ..well... crap. they dont need to know nothin its a friggin geek toy leave us alone!
You don't understand, they won't let you place an order without that information. They also said that they were implementing the same system on their website, although I have never experienced that before. It is no sweat off my back, I will just order from Amazon or someone instead. All that means is that they have lost a direct customer with accompanying higher profit margins.

I went through a similar and painful experience with Let's Talk (aren't they connected with Nokia in some way?).

They also required my SSN. I balked at first, but then I decided to go through it, since I couldn't wait any longer for my order from buy.com. The terrible part of all of this started when they couldn't find me in Verid. They needed verification of my identity and credit before completing the order. I called them every day for 6 days, since no one seemed to actively helping me. Finally, I gave them the phone number of my personal banker (where i'm a premium customer), spoke with my credit card company who called me about the order, and it was after much wrangling that the manager granted me an exemption. I now have my E90 but sheesh, what an experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to coastalguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
That makes me want to pick up the phone to place an order, collect some names and get in touch with Nokia HQ why they won't accept my order. After all they get the money guaranteed through the credit card company. They are not putting me on payroll, paying/providing me any social benefits, ...

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

A SSN is required/requested by: * IRS * Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes * States for the school lunch program * Banks for monetary transactions * Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number * Department of Labor for workers’ compensation * Department of Education for Student Loans * States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or drivers license law within its jurisdiction * States for child support enforcement * States for commercial driver’s licenses * States for Food Stamps * States for Medicaid * States for Unemployment Compensation * States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families * U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

[b]I really wish there were a law prohibiting companies from demanding SSN. Even county goverments. And it should be free to block access to your credit info & SSN.[b]

Our SSN info has been compromised twice in the past few years, and let me tell you, it is nerve wrecking. Every US veteran has been exposed through VA breaches. We just got new credit cards from one bank/issuer because one big retailer's database was hacked. They didn't want to say who, probably to avoid a backlash against the merchant.

One time my wife and I wanted to adopt a stray kitten from the county shelter. They insisted on both our SSN! No SSN = no kitten. They rather euthanize the poor thing!! Last spring I ordered a propane tank refill. SSN please. I point people every time to the SSA statements; and if they don't respond promptly that it's just a stupid policy and skip it. I walk away. Goodbye and good luck.

Last edited by icerabbit; 2007-11-20 at 00:09.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
There is no way I am giving my correct social security number to any retailer, online merchant, etc. If they ask, I say, "you don't need that", and if they insist, I tell them to go pound sand. Anyone who considers giving their soc. sec. number to anyone but an employer, your local bank or the gov. has rocks in their head.

Just say no!

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Lacking a legal mandate to demand your social security number, i'm not aware of any legal obligation for you to supply the correct social security number to them.

Some websites ask me for my home address, income, occupation, hobbies, sex, etc. I view these as 'creative writing' opportunities...

Speaking of legality, it has not ever been made clear to me what part of the constitution grants the federal government the authority to force me to take part in a government-run pension program, but I digress.