Active Topics

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ South Carolina
I recently replaced my Linksys 802.11G access point with a TrendNet 802.11N access point. All of my computers connected immediately with the access point but my N800 couldn't even see it. The computers can only use 802.11G as I haven't purchased 802.11N adapters yet. The access point was configured for 802.11B/G/N compatibility. I changed the setting to 802.11G only and now the N800 is connected as are all the computers. The previous access point was 802.11G Linksys and everything worked.

When I buy 802.11N adapters the computers will be able to use the 802.11N but the N800 will make a great doorstop.

Has anybody encountered this? Any suggestions?

I have tried changing the channel to a low number but no change.

Does anyone know if there is a way to conect two access points off the same cable modem?

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Just curious, is that 802.11n Draft 2.0 (Wi-Fi Alliance certified)? Or some earlier version of n? What model of TrendNet?

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Originally Posted by paulmorin View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to conect two access points off the same cable modem?
Use a "Router"... or a "switch".

Omega

TrendNet TEW-631BRP Draft 802.11N draft standard 2.0

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Quite a lot of draft N routers have major problems in mixed B/G/N mode to the point that B or G may no longer work anymore. If you have no N adapters, set your adapter to mixed B and G mode and you'll probably find your N800 working on the router again.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Quite a lot of draft N routers have major problems in mixed B/G/N mode to the point that B or G may no longer work anymore. If you have no N adapters, set your adapter to mixed B and G mode and you'll probably find your N800 working on the router again.
He alredy did that and it worked. What he wants to know now, how to solve the problem when he's gonna buy N cards for his computers.

I think the best thing is to return the router and replace it with one of other brand. Maybe you'll have more luck that way.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Firmware update or new router, but almost ALL N routers have the same issues.

I have the same problem with a Dlink AP. As soon as I enable N, the N800 goes blind.

I did discover that if I moved 50ft away from the AP I could connect, but if I was near the AP I could't.

On both my wifi enabled routers, my Nintendo DS and my Wii refuse to communicate in mixed B/G [they should use B and G respectively] - they will however, find the SSID of the networks ok.

When forcing the connection to B both work well, and when forcing to G - the Wii works well [understandably since the DS only supports B it doesn't work on a G only network.]

This leads me to believe that the problems lie in the router wifi chipsets and/or the standards employed in detecting and switching preamble on mixed mode B/G wifi.

Try forcing the preamble to long if you can, and seeing if that fixes it.

How do you set the preamble to long?
Updated the firmware on the N router this morning. Had high hopes it would fix the problem. Fat chance. My last chance is the N800 2008 upgrade. Or keep running in G.

Noticed something strange this morning. Before I updated the firmware on the N router (in mixed mode) my download speed was in the 7000 range. After the upgrade it is in the 5000 range which is the G range. I thought I could live with G if the download speed was going to be that high. Guess not.

I still think there must be a way to hook up two routers to the same cable modem.