Active Topics

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Well, I kept telling myself that I was just going to stay with my N800, but I knew all along I was just fooling myself and not doing a very good job of it, for that matter. I am now the proud owner of an N810, this is my third-generation IT.

I decided to stop by my local CompUSA store in the hopes that maybe they had them. It's not listed on their website at all, not even for pre-ordering. This was the same thing as when I got my N800 from them last January within the first few days they were released. First guy I asked looked like he had no idea what the heck I was talking about, like I was speaking another language. I didn't like his vague "we don't have it yet" answer, so I went back to Business Sales and asked someone who was a bit more on the ball.

Turns out they have had them for a few days, but were not selling them until they were told to do so. I was the first person to ask, so I told them they officially went on sale today, so they looked it up and said OK. The bar code would not even scan, it's not in their system yet, but it did pull up the price of $479.99 when they input the UPC manually.

So I bought it on the spot, knowing full well I could have saved a few bucks if I didn't mind waiting a week or so via mail order. Figured it's safer this way, in case there is a problem with the unit...so far so good, everything works great! Plus, I get the ever important instant gratification :-)

If you're in a hurry to get one, check your local CompUSA store...they probably have them. If my store here in San Antonio got them this quick, then I'm sure most other cities got them, as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to orbitalcomp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
Laptops lookout - New Nokia N810 Internet Tablet hits store shelves
November 19, 2007

Sleek Internet Tablet shows consumers that stylish, portable and functional is possible

White Plains, NY - Nokia announced today that the new Nokia N810 Internet Tablet has begun shipping nationwide in the United States. With a new slide-out keyboard, built-in GPS, digital audio/video playback and Wi-Fi capability for VoIP calling, the Nokia N810 provides the functionality of a traditional computer but all in one sleek, stylish and portable device.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Ancaster
Wish we could get things for that price here in the UK

Or even get the N810 at all!

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Ancaster
Third workd here for I.T.
This US vs UK price disparity is a major block on development in the real world.

Looks out from behind tower of 128m HP Vectra Pentium 2's to see tumbleweed blow over the car park

With the low dollar exchange rate $480 is way less than what I paid for the N800 back in January.. didn't think of that until I did the calculation! I probably paid somewhere around $520 with today's exchange rate, taxes _not_ included. And I thought the N810 was more expensive than the N800 when introduced.. seems I was wrong, but then again I haven't seen any European prices quoted yet!

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Being next to the U.S. (Canada) and having a dollar that is still worth more than the U.S. one, I can get some minor savings... but unless I get really creative, I'm stuck paying 8% duty upon bringing it back across the border.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp View Post
Well, I kept telling myself that I was just going to stay with my N800, but I knew all along I was just fooling myself and not doing a very good job of it, for that matter.
[snip]
If you're in a hurry to get one, check your local CompUSA store...
Sounds familiar. I keep telling myself that OS2008 on my N800 gets me all the important bits of the N810, but, well, the N810 is just so much purtier.

Thank goodness my "local" CompUSA is an hour and a half away, and I don't travel in that direction often. Heck, the last time I was at CompUSA, it was to buy a VL-Bus multi-IO card.

Anyway, have fun with your new toy!

I couldn't help myself. Just got back from the Nokia store in Manhattan. Charging it up as I type this. Very happy I bought it. What a difference in hand. Feels good. Loving the car mount in the box, not loving the "case".
WooHoo!

Just got my unit from the NYC store too yesterday.
I would usually drive to work, but today I took the train in the morning, so at least I can play on the new device while on the train(don't want to do the same while driving ).

I told them about the $75 disciunt theu lets talk, but the Store would only sell for the full rpice - no discounts at the store.

But still worth the joy of actually holding it in my hands.