If your Canadian what is your game plan for acquiring a n810. I have an American discount coupon and would like to take advantage of it. Is there a service that forwards this kind of thing. I could likely pick it up in Sault Michigan if there was a place there.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
No, you'll have to have a friend in the US order it for you, receive it for you and then send it up to you. That's what I had to do to get my N800 and it's what I have to do for my N810.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We have an office in Michigan, so I could always have a coworker do it. Thing is... I don't know if I've got that much to drop on a tablet.

Has anyone experience with or comments on Expansys.ca? They have the N810 on their web site.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I have heard good things about Expansys.ca, but I have not used them myself. You can also have your package delivered to a UPS store in Sault, MI, and then pick it up from there. The UPS stores will receive packages for you, for a nominal fee. Call your closest store to find their terms...

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
NEVER ship international with UPS. You end up getting hosed with 'brokerage fees'. They provide their own customs brokers and charge you out the *pick an orifice... you know which one...*. A coworker bought some guitar equipment for a deal from a US company and paid more than he would've CDN. They also held his package hostage until he agreed to pay the fee.

I believe, though I'm not sure, that expansys.ca (like TigerDirect) is a reseller and therefore leverages a hefty increase. With the way the dollar is, don't pay more than $479.

*Edit: Nokia manufactures these things, anyone know someone that can be contacted (ie sales/marketing)? It's not a region specific device like their cell phones, they ARE selling the N800 on nokia.ca... Is it too much to ask that they take our money for a product *they* produce?

*Edit #2: I sent an email to customer service at nokia.ca - - I'll post the useless form reply when I get it.

*Edit #3: CDN $504.95 on expansys.ca (not a HUGE markup, but still.)

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2007-11-20 at 19:08.

Lurker here, decloaking.

I'm a software developer, managing a boutique consultancy based in Vancouver, and recently bought a N800 from the US to start working on a proof of concept product for IT's.

I'm frankly stunned that there isn't a better (or real) distribution mechanism for IT's here in Canada, one of the most internet connected countries in the world, and I must say that the apparent lack of support Nokia has for countries like Canada has made me delay the decision to invest some longer than I would have otherwise. While we could sell any product which leads from this R+D work anywhere of course, its nice to have local users which you can interact with in person... and users outside the usual early adopter group I suspect most N770/N800 (and probably N810) buyers are.

That's certainly not going to happen here in Canada until you can buy one at an authorized Nokia dealer in every major city, which you can't do today; or until Amazon.com and the like are permitted to ship to Canadian residents as well, with warranty coverage by Nokia.ca.

Its great to see this ground breaking work by Nokia but its also frustrating to see the inertia of a large company stymie the forward progress that otherwise could be made.

Nokia used to be a market dominator here in Canada; my sense (although I don't follow wireless phones closely at all) that isn't the case any more. Open systems based IT's will be common place within 5 years, from several manufacturers if not more, I would guess. Is Nokia going to waste any potential early lead it has now just because it hasn't got its act together with distribution?

Seems so, at least from the Canadian perspective. Is it frustrating in other easy to do business with countries?

2hedgecore. when UPS first came here the Canadian government would only let them deliver in the back of taxis, else they would be competing with Canada Post. I think UPS's exorbitant brokerage fees are there way of getting back,

smacK: That's fine, my way of getting back is by using FedEx or Purolator.

wet: Agreed about the Canadian market. What's funny, is I had justified it in my mind by saying Canada only has a mere 30,000,000 people in it. Then I find out Finland has 5,000,000. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
ordered. came to about 464 I think. through expansys. they say 3-5 business days. and it should ship near end of this month.