Notices

Update (11/4/08) : Qwerty has made a newer 1.34 build for Diablo and put it in diablo extras if you prefer obtaining from maemo repos. Just enable the extras repo within your application manager, and 'Browse installable applications' to find it

------------------------
I have compiled Transmission for OS2008 and OS2007. The original project website is : http://transmission.bt.com/

Looks great and has nice progress bars and multiple simultaneous downloads. You can get information on any download and see all kinds of statistics and even a 'piece availability' graph.

I would suggest using it on less expensive sd cards until real world tests determine prolonged effects.

Also, it looks like transmission will be the default bittorrent client for Ubuntu probably for its simplicity and because it works well and is pretty fast.

---------
NOTE : Diablo OS Update (so far) seems to have fixed the network dropping issue. This new firmware seems to cause even old versions to run without disconnects. Hopefully this holds true over time and applies to other applications like openshh as well.

Last Update 9/03 (Diablo build of 1.33) :
Upstream changelog

[Diablo users should grab rev27 build here] :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi....rev27.all.deb

[OS2008 users should grab rev25 build here] :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...nook.rev25.deb

[OS2007 users should grab rev24 build here] :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...bora.rev24.deb
----------

Note : You'll have to save torrent and then open it with Transmission.
Note : Downloading large files might freeze up for a min or so at first, while initializing file space.
Note : You can get the web browser to automatically open torrents in transmission by using dbus-switchboard utility here

Advanced users can download the extra command line utilities (proxy, daemon, remote, and cli) which i did not test or include in installer, from tar here (Updated to Version 1.04 source release) :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...ls.1.10.tar.gz

This is a photoshop which is pixel for pixel perfect for what you'd see if you actually downloaded these files :
Attached Images

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-11-05 at 00:17.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
I just got my 2008 vm setup and am trying to see what the new OS can do so i compiled Transmission ( http://freshmeat.net/projects/transmission/ )

Worked straight away on 2008 and uses cairo features (new gtk) i guess because running on 2007 complains it cant find cairo libs.

I might try compiling on bora enviroment later to see if it has fallback gtk support for 2006/7 os'es.

Looks great and has nice status bars and multiple simulataneous downloads. The new status bar icon functionality acts a little weird so keep that in mind (note the icon in status bar)

Grab it here :
http://wardenclyffetower.com/MaemoFi...ssion-2008.deb
Excellent work! Can you get this into Maemo somehow?

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Excellent work! Can you get this into Maemo somehow?
What... you mean repository? I will have to wait until i've tested it a bit, then possibly.

Who knows maybe there are better clients, this is to fill immediate void... although it does look pretty good... dialogs are a little cramped but they work pretty good.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-11-27 at 00:46.

Yeah, a repo would be rather useful, especially with the new backup restore features in OS2008.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
What... you mean repository? I will have to wait until i've tested it a bit, then possibly.

Who knows maybe there are better clients, this is to fill immediate void... although it does look pretty good... dialogs are a little cramped but they work pretty good.
Sorry if I was over-eager.

I don't recall seeing any other torrent clients for Maemo...

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

No problem... i just built it like 5 mins before i posted it. I feel it only necessary to test before i would post it to a repo.

This post -does- have a link to a deb installer for maemo though.

Yea theres just ctorrent on repos now and thats command line (by necessity probably)... my point is a whole range of new apps might be 2008 compatible now that they have improved gtk to 2.10.? + cairo.

I built a version for 2007 but it seems to want to crash with glib errors. I tried downloading the same torrent on my 2008 build and its purring along very stable so far.

This might prove to stay an 2008 build but i'll test a little more to make sure thats the case.

Feel free to provide feedback and if everyone is golden i will post to a maemo repo.

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-11-27 at 01:35.

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Sorry if I was over-eager.

I don't recall seeing any other torrent clients for Maemo...

Well there is ctorrent, but that program is unreliable and pretty buggy (stops downloading randomly, crashes and sets memory card to read only, etc.). I will certainly try this transmission out. Thanks pipeline, and keep up the testing/developing.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I've installed it and it looks and works wonderfully! I will report back on any bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Dl'ed installed and it seems to be working very well. The spacing on the menus is a little off but still completely usable GUI. Good stuff!

My victorious moment of downloading a movie trailer to sd card at 180kps was shrouded by discovering it is a mov file in a rar But my desktop played it!
Great work man. I thought that OS2008 was supposed to be able to play many many more movie types? That was what I was most excited about with the new upgrade but I'm not sure it got implemented exactly.

Regardless, thanks for putting together a great program!

Tags
bittorrent