Active Topics

Having updated my n800 with the newly released OS2008(beta), I enjoy the sight and feel - but no additional programs will not install, not even the official ones, ie Skype - I get the message "Unable to install Skype". Download is ok. ?

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Instead of starting a new thread, read the existing ones... maybe even do a search.

Not a very helpful answer. I have read all possible post AND searched the forums - I found noone dealing with my problem: I have upgraded my n800 with OS2008 beta, and it went smoothly and looks nice - but no additional programs will install, neither Nokia official or third party. Will I have to go back to OS2007, or wait for the final release of OS2008 - or is there another possibility?

Got your repositories set up?

I think so (though I didn't do anything to set them up) - I can access the full list of programs, ie Skype and Pidgin, and download them - confirm that I will install - and then get "Skype cannot install" -

The Following User Says Thank You to jensjk For This Useful Post:
There's plenty of threads about Skype not installing, what other programs won't install?

Yes, I have read those threads. But, I mentioned Skype only as an example, it being included as an option in the OS main menu - but, as I stated earlier, nothing will install. I have the full list of installable programs, quite a lot, Pidgin being another example - they will all download, but not install.

Originally Posted by jensjk View Post
I think so (though I didn't do anything to set them up) - I can access the full list of programs, ie Skype and Pidgin, and download them - confirm that I will install - and then get "Skype cannot install" -
If you did not set any up then there is your problem. You need to set them up manually. Check out this website http://gronmayer.com/it/ and just load up.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Pittsburgh, PA
After upgrading you probably restored a backup, this added all your old repositories back to the list. However those repositories are all set up for the 'bora' (OS2007) distribution. To install applications that were built for OS2008 you would have to change all the application catalogs in the application manager to the 'chinook' (OS2008) distribution.

btw. I noticed that when I leave the distribution field empty, the application manager seems to default to the correct distribution name. Not sure if this is new behaviour.

This makes no sense to me. As I can download everything, but not install anything, the repos must be there. Anyway, I did as you suggested, only to find that Nokia repos are preinstalled. I activated Pidgin and Maemo-hacker, but to no avail - "Pidgin (or whatever) cannot install" (after download).