Notices

Geocachers might be interested to try geoPoi software which I have uploaded to garage.maemo.org. Using it you can convert Pocket Queries received by email into a Poi database format used by Maemo Mappper. GeoPoi has a simple GUI. First you load any number of Pocket Queries (gpx) and then you save them in one database file (db). For each cache type there is an own Poi category created. The software requires python2.5. The development is at the beginning. For example, there are no configuration options yet but the software may still be useful. You may download the installation package from http://garage.maemo.org/projects/geopoi
Any suggestions for improvements are welcome!

There is a new version (0.2.3) of geoPoi available. It can read .loc files in addition to .gpx pocket query files. There are also some other minor improvements.

Last edited by eero; 2008-01-01 at 21:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to eero For This Useful Post:
Is geoPoi supposed to work on an N800? The application didn't install for me (I don't remember the error).

Yes, it should work on N800. I have used it on N800 with OS2007 and OS2008.
It is dependent on Python packages. You could try to install first Python and then geoPoi. Knowing the exact error message would help ...

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Melfa, VA, USA
Continues to work fine for me.

Installed PYthon.. then geopoi.. install went fine..

downloaded a list of caches in a LOC file..

Geopoi loaded them.. (said 12 locations in memory)
exported to a file..

but I get an error when trying to import them into Maemo Map...

Should I be using "import?".. or is there another way to have it open the file?

Originally Posted by tvengineer View Post
Installed PYthon.. then geopoi.. install went fine..

downloaded a list of caches in a LOC file..

Geopoi loaded them.. (said 12 locations in memory)
exported to a file..

but I get an error when trying to import them into Maemo Map...

Should I be using "import?".. or is there another way to have it open the file?
What file are you talking about? You load he gpx or loc files, and then write out the db file. Remember the name and location. Open up Maemo Mapper, go to settings->POI, and change the default location to your newly created file. You will now see the yellow (default color) POI dots on your maps.

FEATURE REQUEST:

I'd like to also be able to suck in the OLD poi.db, no matter what is there, and have it all written out as one file. I may take a look a that myself. I don't know python at all, but after 20+ years of programming, I think I can wing it.

Tim

Originally Posted by eero View Post
Yes, it should work on N800. I have used it on N800 with OS2007 and OS2008.
It is dependent on Python packages. You could try to install first Python and then geoPoi. Knowing the exact error message would help ...
I tried again and now it installed and is working - I'm not sure what I did different, but oh well.

I got the POI's to show up, but they all are the generic boxes. What do I do to get them to show up with icons specific to their type? I thought it was a matter of putting .BMP's in the database directory with the same names as the POI type, but that didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

I'm replying to myself in case anyone else is interested.

The key to getting the POI icons is to use .jpg files (someone said .png files are ok, but the have to be renamed) in the same directory as the poi database.

Like someone mentioned above, it would be really great if this could ADD poi's to the current maemo mapper database, rather than just create a new one.