Active Topics

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2007 @ cromwell,ct
Unit does not acquire satillites for standard location application.
I stood outside and had no luck.
Brought back unit for another and this new one does same.
Went to control panel to make sure it was enabled.

Any ideas on what may be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to jds54 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
hmm.. having he same problem just didn't get around to posting yet.. (checked to make sure it was enabled, left it scanning for about 10-15mins in view of about half the sky didn't find any satellites - didn't time out or throw any error/message either)

Is there a way to check it responds to basic commands maybe from the terminal app/command line?

Thanks for the quick reply.

When did you buy unit?

My first one was bought 2 weeks ago.
I wasn't playing with GPS untill a few days ago and noticed problem.
My 14 day return was up today and that is why I tried another unit.
I wonder if there are issues with satellite receivers on first batch of units manufactured.

Since second unit does same I may not keep N810.

It shouldn't take 10-15 minutes to aquire satellites.
My Garmin Nuvi does it in 1 minute.

Iam sure I have done eveything I need to on unit to enable its function.

You guys aren't alone in this. I have lots of problems getting a fix too.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I found that the first time it looks for sats takes a loooong time. I literally left it by the window for 1/2 an hour. Now it seems quicker. Maybe the pipes just needed to be flushed or something. Anyway, you can also try to activate the GPS through the settings menu and get the location there. That may kick-start it.

Weatherman,

How long does it take now after first lockon?

Anything over 2-3 minutes is not acceptable.

I am wondering if receiver is under powered.
Once Nokia comes out with updated voice and guided software these would not perform as expected.

Thanks

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I agree - and I have been disappointed with lock-on times as well. I just tested it now in two locations; first, on the street in midtown Manhattan (between buildings) with about 20 degrees of visible sky overhead, 90 to horizon. I could see between 5-9 birds at any given time, but with no resolution on any after 10 minutes. It's too cold today to stand out for longer than that. Sitting at my desk near the window with more sky (60 deg x 80 deg) I can see 8-10 birds and I still don't have a lock on any after 15 minutes. I don't think I'm going to get one either. The best sat I've got has 0/4. I have no idea what those number mean, incidentally. Granted, this is not a good test since this is in the middle of high-rise buildings.

When I've had more sky I've definitely gotten better lock-on times under better conidtions but I haven't had it long enough to really do thorough testing. I plan on doing more, but for now I'm thinking that the

Last edited by weatherman; 2007-12-04 at 21:42.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
I'm finding the GPS unreliable too.

Kept losing lock during a test run travelling 20 - 50 mph on motorway / highway. N95's GPS seems significantly more solid under same environments.

Let's hope it's something that can and will be addressed by the next OS update.

I live in New Mexico. We have clear skies today and my GPS is also not locking in. Normally, on Garmins, you can tell the unit where you are approximately and this will eliminate the need to download ephemeris data which is what normally takes so long. But you cannot do that on this unit from what I can tell. I am still trying to dig into this. Anyhow, my unit sat out for 30mins and I got two satellites, this is not acceptable performance by any stretch of the imagination.

I did pair up Maemo Mapper (Excellent Software btw) with an external Mobile 10 Garmin using Bluetooth and it works fine just like on my N800.

This is a problem that Nokia needs to address ASAP whether through software or through re-fielding of new units.

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by jds54 View Post
Unit does not acquire satillites for standard location application.
I stood outside and had no luck.
Brought back unit for another and this new one does same.
Went to control panel to make sure it was enabled.

Any ideas on what may be wrong.
There are two ways that GPS receivers start up: Cold start (when it has no idea where in the world you are) and warm start (where it has been through a cold start and got a lock and remembers the general part of the world where you are).

The cold start takes a long time (although 30 minutes is excessive but 5 minutes is not unheard of) typically and it takes even longer, or won't lock on at all, if you are moving around.

After the receiver has gone though a cold start successfully, it can usually just do a warm start (which should take under a minute or so) and can do this while you are moving but it will take longer. This should be the way it is starting up unless you turn the N810 off and ship it half way around the world ... or there is some bug preventing the last known coordinates from being stored and it has to be a cold start every time. Has anyone with an N810 bugzilla-ed this yet?

My external iBlue BT GPS took a good 5-10 minutes when I first powered it up to get a lock. Now it gets a lock within a minute.

The Following User Says Thank You to mwiktowy For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps agps