Reply
Thread Tools
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,199 | Thanked: 2,836 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#1
Okay, managed to get Skype working on OS2007HE on the old 770. The only two things you need to do is to install the OS2007 Skype from the official repository and then replace the skyhost executable in /usr/bin with the one from the OS2008 packages, since they are not bound to the device as the OS2007 ones.

Only runs as root though (for some reason skyhost refuses to start as user), if anyone can help with that

To run it as user, just make sure that skyhost's owner is user:users (if you already ran it as root, delete /tmp/skype_socket). The same applies to the /home/user/.Skype folder (which is created with owner root if you start skype with sudo).

Connects normally, chat and conversation working, sound quality is acceptable.

Start talking already!

P.S. Step by step explanation

1. Install Skype through Application Manager. (or from the debs here: http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com.../user/s/skype/. You will need skype-ui, some language and default theme)

2. On your PC download the last Skype armel deb from here: http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com.../user/s/skype/ and extract it with some decompressor (I used IZArc on windows, on linux you can use dpkg or mc or something else).

3. Find a way to copy the file skyhost (about 1.7mb, save somewhere the previous one if you want) to your maemo device in /usr/bin (i'm using ssh/sftp, someone may offer something else).

4. Run
Code:
chown user:users /usr/bin/skyhost
as root

Should be enough. Run from the menu. Someone may correct me if i forgot something.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2007-12-05 at 22:20.
 

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
#2
I did the install, it works fine on my 770, starting Skype from menu (as user)

Alex
 
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UK
#3
Great news! I too can confirm that installation trick is working!!!
Currently I can everything except voice calls Getting an error "No common codec").
Will try later on fresh 2007HE install (my current install is heavily modified).

serge48
 
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
#4
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Okay, managed to get Skype working on OS2007HE on the old 770. The only two things you need to do is to install the OS2007 Skype from the official repository and then replace the skyhost executable in /usr/bin with the one from the OS2008 packages, since they are not bound to the device as the OS2007 ones.

Only runs as root though (for some reason skyhost refuses to start as user), if anyone can help with that

To run it as user, just make sure that skyhost's owner is user:users (if you already ran it as root, delete /tmp/skype_socket). The same applies to the /home/user/.Skype folder (which is created with owner root if you start skype with sudo).

Connects normally, chat and conversation working, sound quality is acceptable.

Start talking already!

This is great news. Do you think you can do step by step instructions for the linux defecient?
 
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,199 | Thanked: 2,836 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#5
Originally Posted by serge48 View Post
Great news! I too can confirm that installation trick is working!!!
Currently I can everything except voice calls Getting an error "No common codec").
Will try later on fresh 2007HE install (my current install is heavily modified).

serge48
Looks like Skype is using farsight-rtp.
 
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007
#6
Awesome! Just tested it and it works better than on my pc. How strange!
 
Posts: 4,027 | Thanked: 1,615 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#7
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
This is great news. Do you think you can do step by step instructions for the linux defecient?
Just for you

FAQ 770_2007He_step by step skype installation

__________________________
770/4.2007.26-8/2G MMC boot

Credit from Bundyo, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12740.

1) you should be running 2007He on you 770, the last 2 hacks should be fine.

2) Install Skype-ui, Menu>Tools>App Manager>Browse Installable apps>skype-ui

3) dl skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb to a win PC desktop, http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com.../user/s/skype/

4) Use izarc for extraction skyhost. http://izarc.org/download.html, dl izarc and install, this is for vista, pick your izarc version, or google it.

5) associate .deb with izarc (when install izarc, they ask you for file association), click on file skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb for extraction, upon viewing tree system from izarc, in folder skype_1.7...../usr/bin you will find skyhost, extract into your win desktop.

6) copy skyhost into your mmc card: and now your skyhost is on /media/mmc1
a) take card out from 770 and copy via a cardreader
b) USB cable copy
c) BT
d) setup tightVNC, there is a file transfer option. Setup 770 as X11VNC server, just click the x11VNC after
installation, there is no parameters to set, and you will not see anything after you click, it is 'silently' ON. then on your
win PC, run tightVNC viewer (Google and install, you do need to supply the ip address of your X11VNC, something like
192.168.x.x to connect to your 770, click on the icon with two square, that is the file transfer icon)

7) copy /media/mmc1/skyhost into /usr/bin, you need to be at root then run skyhost (install becomeroot will let you gainroot)
Start Xterm
sudo gainroot
cp /media/mmc1/skyhost /usr/bin
chown user:users /usr/bin/skyhost

8) Menu>Skype, voila, start skyping....


Installed skype-ui 1.7.43.38.2.

enjoy!
Edit: Fionn caught the mistake. Corrected now, thanks Fionn.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-02-03 at 02:38.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2007
#8
Originally Posted by serge48 View Post
Great news! I too can confirm that installation trick is working!!!
Currently I can everything except voice calls Getting an error "No common codec").
Will try later on fresh 2007HE install (my current install is heavily modified).

serge48
When tried to call "Echo /Sound Test Service", I got same error "No common codec", but when call a real contact, it works.
 
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Oct 2005
#9
I did this with only my tablet:

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Credit from Bundyo, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12740.

1) you should be running 2007He on you 770, the last 2 hacks should be fine.

2) Install Skype-ui, Menu>Tools>App Manager>Browse Installable apps>skype-ui

3) dl skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb to a win PC desktop, http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com.../user/s/skype/
4) cd /home/user/MyDocs/.documents

5) dpkg-deb -x skype_1.7.62.48.5_armel.deb .

6) sudo gainroot

7) cp -f usr/bin/skyhost /usr/bin

8) exit

And to clean up: DO NOT do this as root!!!

9) rm -r usr/ etc/

Notice the absence of slashes before the folders. This removes the extracted contents from the current directery.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdrman For This Useful Post:
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,199 | Thanked: 2,836 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#10
Originally Posted by sdrman View Post

And to clean up: DO NOT do this as root!!!

9) rm -r usr/ etc/

Notice the absence of slashes before the folders. This removes the extracted contents from the current directery.
Yes, if you're root and put slashes... Let's say you're screwed.
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18.