Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
I currently have a Nokia 770 and unfortunately browsing is slow and with the hacked flash 9 movies are completely unwatchable, I am tempted to upgrade to the n800 especially with the cost but am wondering what users experience with this device is? I am sure it is faster than the 770 but how do you find performance in general - email, rss, browsing, etc?

Also has anyone tried OS2008 (beta) on the n800 yet, if so how does it run, does it perform well - how is flash 9 on this device? Does the eyecandy cause the device to run slower or does it still perform well?

Thanks for any and all advice and input!

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
All these questions have been asked/answered/commented in this forum many times. Use the search function.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I did a search and there are plenty of people asking which is the better platform and which to recommend but there is no real performance comparison between the two platforms that I could find - for example any people who have both devices has the browsing experience improved significantly (microb or opera)?

Also how does the OS2008 beta run on the n800, is it faster or slower than OS2007 - does the new eyecandy slow the device down?

Are there any performance comparisons on the web for these devices?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Thanks, I did a search and there are plenty of people asking which is the better platform and which to recommend but there is no real performance comparison between the two platforms that I could find - for example any people who have both devices has the browsing experience improved significantly (microb or opera)?

Also how does the OS2008 beta run on the n800, is it faster or slower than OS2007 - does the new eyecandy slow the device down?

Are there any performance comparisons on the web for these devices?
OK... fair enough. I don't think you can find any 'benchmark graphs" of the performance, as you might have seen in PC hardware reviews... Everything is based on users feelings and impressions.

You should remember that the OS2008 is going to replace the OS2007. It is almost moot point to even try to compare any more... But to your relief the OS2008 feels a lot faster than OS2007 on N800. I'm sure all people who have tried both agree. Talking about the browser: Opera is not available for OS2008 so browsers can not be compared side by side. What I have seen/felt about MicroB on OS2008, it feels at least as fast than Opera on OS2007. And for added bonus, MicroB works on more websites than Opera. I don't think anyone has made side by side comparison of two devices running OS2007/Opera and OS2008/Microb?

While this may not be complete answer to your questions, hope it still helps...

N800: Generally faster, more web abilities, still supported and (surprisingly) more ergonomically comfortable (at least in my hand). Not to mention the twin speakers, camera and built-in stand. But I still kinda like the 770 retro-look and the sliding the cool cover on and off, also, the screen seems harder (at least compared to my pre-used, pre-scratched N800).

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm still on a 770 as well... I'll admit, it's on life support. Without 2007HE, I'd still be running 2006 with a very limited shelf life. I skipped the N800, and will most likely go to an N810 (presuming I can convince myself the GPS doesn't completely suck).

All I'll say is this. Though they're extremely similar on the inside, make sure you're not upgrading to a unit that will be tossed by the wayside in a few months.

Thank you for the comments, its unfortunate that no-one has done any kind of benchmarking on the devices, even with "similarities" between OS2007 and OS2007HE and the microb browser which works great but struggles from time to time on the 770! I appreciate the advice though and am glad to hear that OS2008 feels faster than the current n800 OS as it is always a concern that even with a newer device (n800) an even newer (and bigger) OS will cause it to lag - seems to be the way with computers in general...

Thank you.