Notices

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Which file manager do you use and why?
What are the pros and cons of the ones you know?

I just started using canoe (0.2.0) written by pancake@phreaker.net (that's in the About Credits). Pretty sure its on Maemo.org, but search this board if need be.

I was looking for a filemanager because the one on board (with OS2007), is awful, and useless for an advanced task. It pretty much has *nothing* to do with actually working with folders and directories, and is more of a media catalog than a file manager.

Canoe definitely shows what the actual folder/directory structure is. It isn't perfect (lacks a search feature), but it'll do in a pinch.

It's pretty much amazing that I haven't found a filemanager where I can say, find my opera.ini file (or whatever). Unfortunately, I have spent way too much time at the terminal/command-line level for tasks that should have been handled at a higher level.

I'm hoping, after the new year, to contribute to the community in that respect, by writing a front end (probably in phython, hopefully cobbled together from some existing stuff), that will abstract out the linux-ie things, and have an updatable database of Internet Tablet specific command line scripts.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Canoe can be found at http://maemo.lancode.de if needed. Don't know if it has been ported to OS2008 yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxrebel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Canoe can be found at http://maemo.lancode.de if needed. Don't know if it has been ported to OS2008 yet.
Thanks for the pointer to the location. Double tapping on files starts up a reader (Notes or PDF viewer), but doesn't actually load the file into the reader (on OS2007). Is there a trick to get the loading part working?

Thanks,

Craig...

More info on current and up-coming OS2008 file managers is welcome. There must be some things on the horizon. Some ports, at least.

I would like to see something more also.

I read that gpe filememanager now has a flag to show hidden files. I have not been able to figure out what that flag is though.

I liked canoe in the past. On the lastest 0s2008 on my n800 the display has changed and I find it a lot more challenging to use.

I can go to the terminal to do what I need but that is much less convenient.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I've been using emelFM2 It's great!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
At OS2007 ive been using Canoe and i really liked it. Its simple to use, consumes very little space and it works great.

But in OS2008 i cant get Canoe to works, it complains about libdbus 1.2 is missing because OS2008 includes 1.3 instead of 1.2.

Because of this im currently using emelfm2 which works good but i prefer Canoe.

Have anybody gotten Canoe to work on OS2008?

I have it working on 0s2008. I had to do an apt-get for the libdbus-1-2 after adding the bora repository.

Some of the previous challenges I had with it not displaying correctly have not happened after a re-install of canoe.

rone,

Could you link to which repository you used or to the .deb file?

I tried to find it but i failed.