Active Topics

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
I'm one of the many noobs out here who might benefit from the answer to this question. Should I set up to boot from MMC first or upgrade to OS2008 and then make the boot 'disk' ?

I want to be able to run KOffice, which requires both. I received my IT on Friday and have been enjoying just getting to know it for now, but I'm pretty sure KOffice is where I'm headed. I don't have any XTerm experience, so setting up to boot from MMC won't be trivial.

So which should come first, now that the official 2008 is out?

Last edited by DistantFire; 2007-12-18 at 13:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to DistantFire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Depends on what you want. If you think you would want to go back to OS2007 do it now so you have bootable OS2007 backup on card. if you want only OS2008 then upgrade and clone OS2008 to card. If you do it with OS2007 now you have to redo it with 2008 again if you aim for booting OS2008 from card.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
From the OS2008 forum, does boot from MMC work for os2008?

Booting from MMC sounds like a neat speed/system space upgrade. But as a noob I can't follow the discussion, and will have to wait for someone to write a how to. Even reading through the 2006 instructions, I doubt my ability to do it.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2007-12-18 at 14:17.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
If you do it with OS2007 now you have to redo it with 2008 again if you aim for booting OS2008 from card.
This was the answer I was looking for. THANKS

is it possibly to directly flash the os2008 image to sd card? i want to try out os2008 but i don't necessarily want to lose my apps, so i'd like to keep os2007 on the built in memory for now and be able to boot os2008 from memory card.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
I'm one of the many noobs out here who might benefit from the answer to this question. Should I set up to boot from MMC first or upgrade to OS2008 and then make the boot 'disk' ?

I want to be able to run KOffice, which requires both. I received my IT on Friday and have been enjoying just getting to know it for now, but I'm pretty sure KOffice is where I'm headed. I don't have any XTerm experience, so setting up to boot from MMC won't be trivial.

So which should come first, now that the official 2008 is out?

Well, KDE with Koffice requires 2008OS. You will need to install 2008OS prior to cloning the flash to SD/MMC. You can then boot to SD/MMC or Flash.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: