Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Hi

I have upgraded my N800 to Chinook, it all went well. Finally I as able to install openssh.

Now, to get into root, the usual root is/was: ssh -X root@localhost
type at xterm, of course.

Now, the system ask for root's password. It used to be "rootme" as default, if I recall correctly. Seems it has been changed.

Anybody knows what is this new default root password on Chinook ?

Thanks.

You need to install becomeroot and sudo gainroot. Then you can use passwd to change the root password and then you can ssh in with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to coffeedrinker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
I got in right away with an ssh client (Putty) and user "root" and pswd "rootme" - I may have install becomeroot first - can't remember, but I don't think it would have anything to do with ssh. I did install open-ssh first.

BTW another trick I use is to add the line:
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/ash
to the /etc/sudoers file. BEWARE bad syntax in this file can brick your ability to get root access - or at least make it more difficult! Most linux systems have a special utility for editing the sudoers file (visudoers?)- I haven't found it on the Nokia IT yet.

After that you can just "sudo ash" in xterm - a bit less typing.

Last edited by kgingeri; 2007-12-19 at 07:25.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
you can install the latest openSSH server and it prompts you to enter a password, then there is no need to install gainroot or anything like that.

but really its up to personal preference

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
Most linux systems have a special utility for editing the sudoers file (visudoers?)- I haven't found it on the Nokia IT yet.
EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi /usr/sbin/visudo